Re: [MedievalSawdust] Glastonbury Chairs - Thoughts

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 75 , May 28, 2010
      Hey, It's my missing Laurel....  Greetings oh Master Charles.  Bought 2?  I seem to remember it went more like "Nice chairs, make me two" although I admit, you did pay me.... Kind of like the Pennsic cart,  "nice cart, make me one"

      Now I am starting a brand new top secret project, which shouldn't take more then 2-3 years

      -Rhys

      On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:59 PM, James Winkler <jrwinkler@...> wrote:

      Yup... they're everything he sez' they are.  Like em' so much I bought a pair for my Barony a number of years back...    and I'm not just saying that because I'm his Laurel... lol

      Chas.

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: LordRhys@...
      Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 23:27:56 -0400
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Glastonbury Chairs - Thoughts

      Actually, I cheated and redesigned it to make it easy, arms and legs come off, seat and back are permanently assembled, takes about a minute to assemble a chair, so simple even a king can do it (Just kidding Your Majesties).  I haven't had any complaints about assembly over the years.  And that includes at least 8 or 9 reigns for the Midrealm Travel Thrones.  Some use a pillow, others not, personal preferance.  I tilted the backs 10 degrees to add comfort.

      When I designed them, the requirements given were 1. Period design, 2. Easy assembly, with minimal directions, 3. Must fit in the back seat of a Geo Metro

      -Rhys

      On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:55 PM, Siegfried <siegfried@...> wrote:

      So, I keep seeing the Glastonbury Chairs be mentioned ...

      A while back a number of these chairs started appearing in my neck of
      the woods, because "Hey it's a period travel chair!"

      However, you basically don't see them anymore. I can attest to why. My
      Barony has a set of these that was made for us as our Baronial Thrones.

      They became affectionately (or not) known as "The Puzzle Chairs"

      As only a few people could really figure out how they went together,
      each assembly was an ordeal. Even well practiced people would spend 15
      minutes assembling one. Which if it was 'time for court' was a long
      time. Especially if they had to do both without help.

      To the point that at some point in time, we 'permanently' assembled the
      back and seat ... so only the legs/arms need attaching, that helped, but
      it still takes a few people scratching their head every time.

      But still. My own experience is what while they look awesome, they
      aren't the 'most comfortable' without a pillow, and the
      assembly/tear-down is a pain.

      I saw some people a while ago make them where for each 'dowel' they used
      threaded rod instead, and made 'caps' that had internal nuts to screw
      together.

      Given how many people are recommending them, I assume your experiences
      are different? How so?

      Siegfried

      --
    • O B Livion
      Message 75 of 75 , Jun 5, 2010
        Of all the possible purposes I co sidered - that wasn't one of them.

        You learn something new every day (if not, what's the point of getting out of bed).

        Sent from my iPhone