Lavonian Bed

  • Ansila
    Message 1 of 2 , May 23, 2010
      Would anyone have an idea for a camping bed that would be accurate for a 9-10th century Lavonian (or in their trading area)?
    • Eric
      Message 2 of 2 , May 23, 2010
        Ansila,

        Camping beds for virtually all early period cultures would be a bedroll, few people travelled, even fewer travelled with furniture, except for maybe nomadic tribes.

        That said, most SCA folk replicate more permanent living, for example late period, four-poster beds and larger trestle tables.

        If you're focused on Livonian culture, on the eastern shores of the Baltic Sea, before the Livonian Crusade of the 13th century, you're basically dealing with Finnish tribes. Most people relate these cultures with post-migration Vikings. The most portable 10th century bed I've seen is the Gokstad bed, found in Sweden. There are multiple sites that reference this bed, many of them point back to plans and documentation that was written by another member of this Yahoo group, Charles Oakley. You might consider this bed to be close enough for your purposes.

        Good luck,
        Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
        Ashgrove, Barony of Altavia, Caid