RE: [MedievalSawdust] Speaking of shields?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2010

      Wow.  Gesso? How HEAVY is that sumbitch gonna be?

      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2010
        You have a wide range of amount of effort that you can go with

        You can trace out a pattern on a flat piece of plywood and
        screw a handle to the back

        or you can make a shield so nice you consider leading with
        your head and putting the shield behind your back so no one
        hits it.

        Where do you want to fall between the two?

      • MORADAN@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
          Baltic birch plywood works great for flat shields.  You can find it at cabinet wood supply yards like Hardwoods inc. for about $22 for a 5'x5' sheet.  The stuff I get is just under 3/8" thick.  I tape a piece of 3/8" rope to the edge, to absorb shock, and then sew a strip of wet rawhide down to the wood over the rope.  I normally get about 2yrs out of one.

          Sir Mordan Peresenchenev