Re: [MedievalSawdust] Speaking of shields?

  • powell.sean@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2010

      My thoughts:

      Laminated birch plywood (or better yet lay up your own from birch venier) in a vacuum bag to a rigid curved surface. Cut to shape then round the edges with a router, rasp and sandpaper.  Candy-coated with a fiberglass epoxy front, back and a double layer on the edges. (better yet, get Sir Vitus to do it for you). Decorate with tooled and embossed leather charges then glue down canvas working the fabric into the leather details while wet. Apply gesso to the canvas and stamp any diapering while wet. Add mounting hardware. Paint and guild to suit.

      It's a fairly length process which is why my wood shield is only partially complete.

      Sean

      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2010

        Wow.  Gesso? How HEAVY is that sumbitch gonna be?

        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2010
          You have a wide range of amount of effort that you can go with

          You can trace out a pattern on a flat piece of plywood and
          screw a handle to the back

          or you can make a shield so nice you consider leading with
          your head and putting the shield behind your back so no one
          hits it.

          Where do you want to fall between the two?

        • MORADAN@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
            Baltic birch plywood works great for flat shields.  You can find it at cabinet wood supply yards like Hardwoods inc. for about $22 for a 5'x5' sheet.  The stuff I get is just under 3/8" thick.  I tape a piece of 3/8" rope to the edge, to absorb shock, and then sew a strip of wet rawhide down to the wood over the rope.  I normally get about 2yrs out of one.

            Sir Mordan Peresenchenev