Re: [MedievalSawdust] Speaking of shields?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2010
      flat or curved?

      I glued up two sheets of 1/4" plywood in a form to make
      curved wooden shields. the form was slightly more curved
      than I wanted the shield to be to account for 'spring back'
      after i removed it from the form. keep it in the form until
      you think it's dry....

      then leave it there for another 24 hours lol

      I used titebond II ( titebond III was not available then )
      LIBERALLY spread on the entire surface.

      I put a small nail in at the center at the top and bottom
      before I up it in the form to help keep the two layers from
      sliding around as I clamped it in the form ( a small wire nail
      would be enough to do this )

      Edged it ALL the way around with aluminum U channel to
      strengthen the edges and then covered that with garden hose
      split and 'laced' on with nylon cord.

      um..... the alum channel as held in place with the small size
      wire nails ( drill and just push them through ) bent over and
      set a little with a hammer tap or two )

      Covered all that with canvas and painted it.  you can glue the
      canvas on also, but that can complicate repairs if it needs it...

      I've painted the canvas with primer a couple times.... not sure
      it made a big enough difference to make it worth the effort....

      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2010

        My thoughts:

        Laminated birch plywood (or better yet lay up your own from birch venier) in a vacuum bag to a rigid curved surface. Cut to shape then round the edges with a router, rasp and sandpaper.  Candy-coated with a fiberglass epoxy front, back and a double layer on the edges. (better yet, get Sir Vitus to do it for you). Decorate with tooled and embossed leather charges then glue down canvas working the fabric into the leather details while wet. Apply gesso to the canvas and stamp any diapering while wet. Add mounting hardware. Paint and guild to suit.

        It's a fairly length process which is why my wood shield is only partially complete.

        Sean

        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2010

          Wow.  Gesso? How HEAVY is that sumbitch gonna be?

          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2010
            You have a wide range of amount of effort that you can go with

            You can trace out a pattern on a flat piece of plywood and
            screw a handle to the back

            or you can make a shield so nice you consider leading with
            your head and putting the shield behind your back so no one
            hits it.

            Where do you want to fall between the two?

          • MORADAN@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
              Baltic birch plywood works great for flat shields.  You can find it at cabinet wood supply yards like Hardwoods inc. for about $22 for a 5'x5' sheet.  The stuff I get is just under 3/8" thick.  I tape a piece of 3/8" rope to the edge, to absorb shock, and then sew a strip of wet rawhide down to the wood over the rope.  I normally get about 2yrs out of one.

              Sir Mordan Peresenchenev