Speaking of shields?

  • Chuck Belitz
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7 8:14 AM
      Speaking of shields, does anyone have thoughts on the design, materials, fabrication techniques, decorations, etc for functional shields suitable for combat?

      Sir Karl von Belitz

      Message 2 of 6 , May 7 8:30 AM
        flat or curved?

        I glued up two sheets of 1/4" plywood in a form to make
        curved wooden shields. the form was slightly more curved
        than I wanted the shield to be to account for 'spring back'
        after i removed it from the form. keep it in the form until
        you think it's dry....

        then leave it there for another 24 hours lol

        I used titebond II ( titebond III was not available then )
        LIBERALLY spread on the entire surface.

        I put a small nail in at the center at the top and bottom
        before I up it in the form to help keep the two layers from
        sliding around as I clamped it in the form ( a small wire nail
        would be enough to do this )

        Edged it ALL the way around with aluminum U channel to
        strengthen the edges and then covered that with garden hose
        split and 'laced' on with nylon cord.

        um..... the alum channel as held in place with the small size
        wire nails ( drill and just push them through ) bent over and
        set a little with a hammer tap or two )

        Covered all that with canvas and painted it.  you can glue the
        canvas on also, but that can complicate repairs if it needs it...

        I've painted the canvas with primer a couple times.... not sure
        it made a big enough difference to make it worth the effort....

        Message 3 of 6 , May 7 8:34 AM

          My thoughts:

          Laminated birch plywood (or better yet lay up your own from birch venier) in a vacuum bag to a rigid curved surface. Cut to shape then round the edges with a router, rasp and sandpaper.  Candy-coated with a fiberglass epoxy front, back and a double layer on the edges. (better yet, get Sir Vitus to do it for you). Decorate with tooled and embossed leather charges then glue down canvas working the fabric into the leather details while wet. Apply gesso to the canvas and stamp any diapering while wet. Add mounting hardware. Paint and guild to suit.

          It's a fairly length process which is why my wood shield is only partially complete.

          Sean

          Message 4 of 6 , May 7 10:16 AM

            Wow.  Gesso? How HEAVY is that sumbitch gonna be?

            Message 5 of 6 , May 7 10:25 AM
              You have a wide range of amount of effort that you can go with

              You can trace out a pattern on a flat piece of plywood and
              screw a handle to the back

              or you can make a shield so nice you consider leading with
              your head and putting the shield behind your back so no one
              hits it.

              Where do you want to fall between the two?

            • MORADAN@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2010
                Baltic birch plywood works great for flat shields.  You can find it at cabinet wood supply yards like Hardwoods inc. for about $22 for a 5'x5' sheet.  The stuff I get is just under 3/8" thick.  I tape a piece of 3/8" rope to the edge, to absorb shock, and then sew a strip of wet rawhide down to the wood over the rope.  I normally get about 2yrs out of one.

                Sir Mordan Peresenchenev