Display shields

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 4 , May 6, 2010
      Hello all,

      In the process of painting the shields. I thank you all again for all your excellent advice over the course of this project.
      So, I would like to start working on the stands shortly or even during the drying process.
      I have seen several of the tripod style ones and thought that would be a good direction to go. I have lots of bamboo poles I traded for at last Lilies that haven't been put to good use yet and hope to use them, however, my mechanical skills are poorly lacking. Each one has a little over three feet of usable length. I have at least 12 of them, I can probably get more pretty easily. The shields are 2' x 3'.

      I greatly appreciate any pointers, design plans, etc you all can offer.

      David "Wolf" Mc.
      Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
    • powell.sean@comcast.net
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2010

        How high off the ground do you want them? 3' tall on 3' legs doesn't leave much in the way of stability. You want your base to be at least half as wide as it is tall unless you plan on staking them into the ground. There is a really easy colapsing tripod design but I would recomend working with poles at least 5' tall for the shields you are using. That precludes the use of the bamboo (besides which, western medieval heater shields are not really associated with far eastern plants unless you propose that the bamboo was imported as an exotic plant by a silk caravan)

        Sean

          In the process of painting the shields.  I thank you all again for all your excellent advice over the course of this project.
          So, I would like to start working on the stands shortly or even during the drying process.
          I have seen several of the tripod style ones and thought that would be a good direction to go.  I have lots of bamboo poles I traded for at last Lilies that haven't been put to good use yet and hope to use them, however, my mechanical skills are poorly lacking.  Each one has a little over three feet of usable length.  I have at least 12 of them, I can probably get more pretty easily.  The shields are 2' x 3'.

          I greatly appreciate any pointers, design plans, etc you all can offer.

        David "Wolf" Mc.
        Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Electric Wolf
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2010
          Mainly, I had them and wanted to use them is what it amounts to. :)

          Not sure what height is best, maybe bring the top of the shield to
          about waist high and I'll get whatever boards and hardware I need. Oh
          and the shields need to be free from the stand not attached, so maybe
          a ledge of some kind.

          --
          Sent from my mobile device

        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 4 of 4 , May 7, 2010
            On Thu, May 6, 2010 12:39 pm, Electric Wolf wrote:
            > Mainly, I had them and wanted to use them is what it amounts to. :)

            Throw them in the campfire. When they explode, it repels demons.
            (Firecrackers predate gunpowder, considerably!)

            Ulfhedinn