Re: [MedievalSawdust] shoulder yoke

  • conradh@efn.org
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2010
      On Mon, May 3, 2010 5:56 pm, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
      > If you were gonna make a shoulder yoke for carrying
      > loads what new world wood would you choose?
      >
      > why that choice?

      Drew Langsner, in his first book _Country Woodcraft_ says the wood should
      be easy to carve, fairly lightweight, yet quite strong. He recommends
      thoroughly seasoned to avoid checking. He suggests tulip poplar, bass and
      pine. Chapter 17, pp. 176-9 of that book is about making a yoke. There's
      a new edition out, ISTR with a title change, and of course chapter and
      page numbers might be different.

      I've not made one, though I'd like to sometime. A northern wood I might
      add to his Southern list would be clear spruce if you can find some. So
      strong and light that it was the favored wood for airplane props and spars
      back when those were made of wood--and still valued by builders of
      traditional wooden boats for booms and yards. The sort of twist carved
      into a wooden propeller suggests to me that the shoulder-hollow of a yoke
      shouldn't cause too much weakening if spruce were used.

      FWIW.
      Ulfhedinn
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2010
        I'm considering working with green wood and
        doing most of the shaping while the wood is
        'wet' and then after it dries finishing it up...

        It seems to me the kind of project to do for
        a first experience in working green wood...
        It does not have to be pretty for it to work.

        On Mon, May 3, 2010 5:56 pm, Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart wrote:
        > If you were gonna make a shoulder yoke for carrying
        > loads what new world wood would you choose?
        >
        > why that choice?

        Drew Langsner, in his first book _Country Woodcraft_ says the wood should
        be easy to carve, fairly lightweight, yet quite strong. He recommends
        thoroughly seasoned to avoid checking. He suggests tulip poplar, bass and
        pine. Chapter 17, pp. 176-9 of that book is about making a yoke. There's
        a new edition out, ISTR with a title change, and of course chapter and
        page numbers might be different.

        I've not made one, though I'd like to sometime. A northern wood I might
        add to his Southern list would be clear spruce if you can find some. So
        strong and light that it was the favored wood for airplane props and spars
        back when those were made of wood--and still valued by builders of
        traditional wooden boats for booms and yards. The sort of twist carved
        into a wooden propeller suggests to me that the shoulder-hollow of a yoke
        shouldn't cause too much weakening if spruce were used.

        FWIW.
        Ulfhedinn

      • Wm G
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2010
          China tree. Strong, hard, and VERY light. Grow it yourself.
          RileyG