First project from scratch

  • froggie_910@att.blackberry.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 29 7:20 AM
      I am wanting to make a chest for our ship. Eventually I will make several. This first will be to store the sails and ropes. Then one to hold the brassworks. One for lanterns. One for crew favors and other crew items. So this is a project with long term goals.

      I have never made anything like this before. Im not even sure where to start or what to buy. Can anyone point me to the right beginnings?

      Brenna O'Duynie
      Helmsman of the Briar Rose
      Gleann Abhann
      (Yes, she is an actual ship mock up on a trailer we take to events! She just went to her first Gulf Wars).
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 29 7:32 AM
        you starting with a tree?

        or are you buying the lumber?

        makes a difference.....

        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 29 7:37 AM
          Simple 6 board chests will be a good first project . Minimum tools, cheap material and ease of build. Once you have built the first one, you would be capable of making a dozen in a weekend. They double as seating so thats a bonus too.

          You do not even need hinges one them, just add two slats on the underside of the top board to keep it centered.

          Since its a first project I'd stick to cheaper material. Leave the expensive stuff till you have developed your skills. I have made a few 6 board chests out of laminated pine shelving. They look OK on their own, and better when painted.

           Master Charles Oakley has plans for a 6 board chest at his site, but if you do a search on 6 board chests you will find many more.

          Cheers
          Dirty Mary Ostler

          --
          Mary Ostler
          Apprentice to Agnes Cresewyke
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 29 7:39 AM
            Uh....lumber. I don't know the first thing about milling. Altho I have some gorgeous cedar that will eventually have to go and I'd adore using the wood...

            From: Conal O'hAirt Jim Hart <baronconal@...>
            Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 07:32:49 -0700 (PDT)
            To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] First project from scratch

            you starting with a tree?

            or are you buying the lumber?

            makes a difference.. ...

              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 29 7:46 AM

                The simplest versions can be made with a saw and a hammer.

                --
                Mary Ostler
                Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 29 7:54 AM
                  Heh, imagine that. Read the original post and "6-board chest" was the first thing to pop into my head!

                  Lee

                  --- 42vince@... wrote:

                  Simple 6 board chests will be a good first project .
                • Siegfried
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 29 8:31 AM
                    > You do not even need hinges one them, just add two slats on the
                    > underside of the top board to keep it centered.

                    Other option: leather hinges.

                    Just run a leather strip (belt blank) along the back of the lid and back
                    of the chest. Add nails.

                    Siegfried

                  • Eric
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 29 9:05 AM
                      The suggestions so far of looking at a six board chest to start with are spot on. As you look forward towards equipping more of your ship, I recommend that you try to locate a copy of "Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose" This book is an incredible reference for late SCA period life aboard. You'll find examples of the chests, tools and all sorts of daily use items. A quick search of my regular sources didn't turn up any copies for sale, but you should be able to find at your local large library or though interlibrary loan.

                      In the words of one of our esteemed collegues,
                      "Have fun, make stuff"

                      Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
                      Ashgrove, Barony of Altavia, Caid

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, froggie_910@... wrote:

                      > I am wanting to make a chest for our ship. Eventually I will make several. This first will be to store the sails and ropes. Then one to hold the brassworks. One for lanterns. One for crew favors and other crew items. So this is a project with long term goals.
                      >
                      > I have never made anything like this before. Im not even sure where to start or what to buy. Can anyone point me to the right beginnings?
                      >
                      > Brenna O'Duynie
                      > Helmsman of the Briar Rose
                      > Gleann Abhann
                      > (Yes, she is an actual ship mock up on a trailer we take to events! She just went to her first Gulf Wars).

                    • Alex Haugland
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 29 9:17 AM
                        For a great resource, likely even in context to what you're doing, there's the book Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose which has details on the dozens of chests and boxes found on the shipwreck, including information on what was stored in them.  Most of them were simple boxes, often even without lids, nailed together, which would not be a difficult project.  If you are to pursue something like them, I'd go with cut nails from Tremont nail (see similar recent postings) as they tend to hold better, in my experience than modern wire nails, are more authentic in character to a forged nail (though still not quite the same, but you'd never know once they're hammered home) and look much better on the final product.   Before the Mast also has a huge quantity of daily life and sailing artifacts giving a great view of what life was like aboard a 16th century warship.

                        --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                        Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

                      • conradh@efn.org
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 29 9:41 AM
                          On Thu, April 29, 2010 9:17 am, Alex Haugland wrote:
                          > For a great resource, likely even in context to what you're doing,
                          > there's the book Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose which
                          > has details on the dozens of chests and boxes found on the shipwreck,
                          > including information on what was stored in them. Most of them were
                          > simple boxes, often even without lids, nailed together, which would not be
                          > a difficult project. If you are to pursue something like them, I'd go
                          > with cut nails from Tremont nail (see similar recent postings) as they
                          > tend to hold better, in my experience than modern wire nails, are more
                          > authentic in character to a forged nail (though still not quite the same,
                          > but you'd never know once they're hammered home) and look much better on
                          > the final product. Before the Mast also has a huge quantity of daily
                          > life and sailing artifacts giving a great view of what life was like
                          > aboard a 16th century warship.

                          I would agree it's a marvelous resource--I bought one for myself after
                          Alex was kind enough to bring his copy to Egils Tourney for me to look at.
                          Three possible issues, though. First of all, there are several volumes:
                          the one you want is Volume 4. Second, it may be out of print. Third, my
                          copy cost me $110 US! If all you want are plans for some boxes, check
                          your libraries and find one that does interlibrary loans. Or ask around
                          your local barony to see if someone already has a copy.

                          If all else fails, one of us can probably scan or xerox the relevant pages
                          for you.

                          Ulfhedinn
                        • froggie_910@att.blackberry.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 29 9:52 AM
                            Wow. Two recommendations. I think I'll have to look into obtaining my own copy. But in the interim, I'll hit the library.

                            Thank you for the extra info on cost and edition and such. With us recreating a ship it sounds like a truly invaluable reference.

                            Brenna O'Duynie
                            Helmsman, The Briar Rose
                            Gleann Abhann
                            From: conradh@...
                            Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:41:27 -0700 (PDT)
                            To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 29 10:09 AM

                              Sorry – I’ve been out of touch with woodworking and the SCA.  (I bought a boat.)  But I’ll make it three.  It’s very expensive, but it’s the best woodworking, nautical, and general tudor reference in my library.  I can’t recommend it highly enough.

                              Master William, CL

                              From: conradh@...

                              Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

                              To: <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>

                              On Thu, April 29, 2010 9:17 am, Alex Haugland wrote:

                              > For a great resource, likely even in context to what you're doing,
                              > there's the book Before the Mast: Life and Death aboard the Mary Rose
                              which
                              > has details on the dozens of chests and boxes found on the shipwreck,
                              > including information on what was stored in them. Most of them were
                              > simple boxes, often even without lids, nailed together, which would not be
                              > a difficult project. If you are to pursue something like them, I'd go
                              > with cut nails from Tremont nail (see similar recent postings) as they
                              > tend to hold better, in my experience than modern wire nails, are more
                              > authentic in character to a forged nail (though still not quite the same,
                              > but you'd never know once they're hammered home) and look much better on
                              > the final product. Before the Mast also has a huge quantity of daily
                              > life and sailing artifacts giving a great view of what life was like
                              > aboard a 16th century warship.

                              I would agree it's a marvelous resource--I bought one for myself after
                              Alex was kind enough to bring his copy to Egils Tourney for me to look at.
                              Three possible issues, though. First of all, there are several volumes:
                              the one you want is Volume 4. Second, it may be out of print. Third, my
                              copy cost me $110 US! If all you want are plans for some boxes, check
                              your libraries and find one that does interlibrary loans. Or ask around
                              your local barony to see if someone already has a copy.

                              If all else fails, one of us can probably scan or xerox the relevant pages
                              for you.

                              Ulfhedinn

                            • bsrlee
                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 30 6:35 AM
                                'Before the Mast' is listed at Out of Print with Amazon USA as well as
                                Oxbow Books, but Amazon UK lists it as out of stock, may be available.

                                The Mary Rose Trust bookshop has it still available at 50 pounds plus
                                postage. http://www.maryrose.org/shopping/mbooks.htm

                                Most of the material relating to chests is also covered in 'Assemblages
                                from Wrecks' published by Oxbow Books a few years before the Mary Rose
                                book came out - you may have more chance of picking up that volume instead.

                                regards
                                Brusi of Orkney
                                Rowany/Lochac
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 30 6:44 AM

                                  Out of print?  Excuse me, I have to move my copy to my fire safe.  Wait, no.  It won’t fit.  Gotta run out and get another fire safe . . .

                                    Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

                                      Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 09:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 1, 2010
                                        A minor correction here - the alternative book is 'ARTIFACTS from
                                        Wrecks' not Assemblages, which is part of the sub-title.

                                        Musing on the value of books, I was shocked to see that a book on armour
                                        that I bought several years ago for around $160 Australian is now
                                        selling for over 1600 pounds according to a recent Ken Trotman catalog -
                                        and its not even in English.

                                        regards
                                        Brusi