Re: New treadle lathe!!

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, nelsonhaynes@... wrote:

      > It is a nice looking lath. Remember, a spring pole lath can be made by
      > most anyone. The only parts that need to be purchased are the centers. They
      > cost about five dollars each. You could also make them, but we are wood
      > workers. Watch out for the blacksmiths guild.
      >
      > Roy Underhill has written about this in his books and discussed them on
      > TV. By googling spring pole lathes and Roy Underhill, you can find plenty of
      > photos and instructions on the subject.
      >
      > Master Nigel

      I have his book, which includes a design for a treadle lathe.
      I also have Robin Wood's book (and other things he has published). I would have to say that Robin is a much more credible source when it comes to "period" wood-turning.
      I also have about three other designs people have published for both spring-pole and treadle lathes

      The problem is, there are things a spring-pole lathe can't do, things that require a continuous rotation. If you want to do those things, you need a continuous rotation lathe, which means either a great-wheel lathe, or a treadle lathe. Since I don't have someone to turn the crank for me.....

      Of course there are things a spring-pole lathe can do that a continuous rotation lathe can't. Like turning vessel with a handle, that is at an angle to the bowl, like a ladle or porridger

      Ralg
      AnTir