New treadle lathe!!

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
      Bought a treadle lathe kit from a guy I had referred to me, nice and easy to assemble (not cheap though)

      http://pics.livejournal.com/hrollaug/pic/0007087w/s320x240

      Ralg
      AnTir
    • D'vorah bint al-Attar
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
        On 22 Apr 2010, at 7:27 AM, Ralph wrote:

        > Bought a treadle lathe kit from a guy I had referred to me, nice and easy to assemble (not cheap though)
        >
        > http://pics.livejournal.com/hrollaug/pic/0007087w/s320x240
        >
        > Ralg
        > AnTir

        It's beautiful! Does the guy have a website? How much is "not cheap?" Where's the guy? Does he ship? (I'm asking just in case I can afford one after we buy a house in the next couple of years.)
        D'vorah bint al-Attar
        Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
        dvorah@...
        Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
      • Ralph
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:

          > It's beautiful! Does the guy have a website? How much is "not cheap?" Where's the guy? Does he ship? (I'm asking just in case I can afford one after we buy a house in the next couple of years.)

          They have an e-bay store
          http://stores.ebay.com/CME-Handworks-Inc

          and shipping is included (which is part of why it ain't cheap). It came VERY well packed in three boxes

          Ralg
          AnTIr
        • nelsonhaynes@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
            It is a nice looking lath. Remember, a spring pole lath can be made by most anyone. The only parts that need to be purchased are the centers. They cost about  five dollars each. You could also make them, but we are wood workers. Watch out for the blacksmiths guild.

            Roy Underhill has written about this in his books and discussed them on TV. By googling spring pole lathes and Roy Underhill, you can find plenty of photos and instructions on the subject.

            Master Nigel
          • D'vorah bint al-Attar
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
              On 22 Apr 2010, at 7:55 AM, Ralph wrote:

              > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@...> wrote:
              >
              >> It's beautiful! Does the guy have a website? How much is "not cheap?" Where's the guy? Does he ship? (I'm asking just in case I can afford one after we buy a house in the next couple of years.)
              >>
              > They have an e-bay store
              > http://stores.ebay.com/CME-Handworks-Inc
              >
              > and shipping is included (which is part of why it ain't cheap). It came VERY well packed in three boxes
              >
              > Ralg
              > AnTIr

              Thanks, Ralg! I think I'll be mentioning this to a couple friends of mine, and see if eventually they'd like to go in together to get one.
              D'vorah bint al-Attar
              Master Albrecht Waldfurster's Egg
              dvorah@...
              Facebook: D'vorah Bint Al-Attar
            • Helen Schultz
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
                If I had the money to burn, THAT would be in my shop one day.  It is a piece of art in-and-of-itself and probably worth every penny you paid for it!!

                Congratulations on your new acquisition.

                ~~ Katarina Helene

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
                  I went to their ebay store and while they've got pages describing the lathe, there's none for sale and therefore no price. So the mystery of what they cost continues... Can anybody post the ballpark price of one of these lathes?

                  Eirikr

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph" <n7bsn@...> wrote:

                  > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, D'vorah bint al-Attar <dvorah@> wrote:
                  >

                  > > It's beautiful! Does the guy have a website? How much is "not cheap?" Where's the guy? Does he ship? (I'm asking just in case I can afford one after we buy a house in the next couple of years.)
                  > >
                  > They have an e-bay store
                  > http://stores.ebay.com/CME-Handworks-Inc
                  >
                  > and shipping is included (which is part of why it ain't cheap). It came VERY well packed in three boxes
                  >
                  > Ralg
                  > AnTIr

                • Ralph
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:

                    > I went to their ebay store and while they've got pages describing the lathe, there's none for sale and therefore no price. So the mystery of what they cost continues... Can anybody post the ballpark price of one of these lathes?

                    Mine was $695, including shipping. Made from maple and bubinga, also it was "custom" in that I needed a couple of minor changes
                    That makes it my fourth lathe, yes I'm a bit serious about wood-turning

                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • Ralph
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 22, 2010
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, nelsonhaynes@... wrote:

                      > It is a nice looking lath. Remember, a spring pole lath can be made by
                      > most anyone. The only parts that need to be purchased are the centers. They
                      > cost about five dollars each. You could also make them, but we are wood
                      > workers. Watch out for the blacksmiths guild.
                      >
                      > Roy Underhill has written about this in his books and discussed them on
                      > TV. By googling spring pole lathes and Roy Underhill, you can find plenty of
                      > photos and instructions on the subject.
                      >
                      > Master Nigel

                      I have his book, which includes a design for a treadle lathe.
                      I also have Robin Wood's book (and other things he has published). I would have to say that Robin is a much more credible source when it comes to "period" wood-turning.
                      I also have about three other designs people have published for both spring-pole and treadle lathes

                      The problem is, there are things a spring-pole lathe can't do, things that require a continuous rotation. If you want to do those things, you need a continuous rotation lathe, which means either a great-wheel lathe, or a treadle lathe. Since I don't have someone to turn the crank for me.....

                      Of course there are things a spring-pole lathe can do that a continuous rotation lathe can't. Like turning vessel with a handle, that is at an angle to the bowl, like a ladle or porridger

                      Ralg
                      AnTir