Fw: Emailing: bridge 598 (633x1024), bridge 599 (979x1024), bridge 600 (1024x1024),

  • helen kotur
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2010
    hi sorry for the long file but I tuck some pictures of the brake and also I noticed that they also have a metal support on the legs and part of it is made of wood.... The more that I look the more discureged I get about the whole thing. I am going to see if I can contact any antique dillers and I belive I will put them up for sale as soon as I get an idea on how will be the best thing to restore it.... thank you for even trying to help but here are those pictures... regards... helen

    Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2010
      The more I look at it, the more I think that your best options are to hire a professional restorer who understands the exact materials and construction and may be able to do a job with near-invisible results, or,  if you're bound to do it yourself, I'd still lean towards a two part epoxy adhesive.  Contacting antique dealers, especially if you're looking at possibly selling them, may be a good idea before doing anything to the chairs.  They may be able to tell you what you can expect for them once repaired, as well as who best to contact as far as the repairs needed, and, from there, you can make the most approprate choice.  If they would sell for, say $2000 as a set, it may be worth spending $200 to fix a broken one and risking the value by an inexpert repair may threaten that value.  If you're looking at $100 for the set, then $200 would be a complete waste and a more visible repair may be more acceptable.  From what I'm seeing in the pictures, you have a mix of different materials building up the chair, with what appears to be a wood and metal frame with a plaster-like coating, moulded to the shape of the carvings.  With a mix of porous and non-porous materials, you'd want an adhesive that can bond both porous and non-porous materials, at which point epoxy is what I'd try first.

      --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
      Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

      Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2010
        Thank you, I dearly apriciate your imput and your patience. Yes I will try to find somebody who can restore them then just put them up for sale. But it was interesting since I have never seen nor heard about things like that. I got a reply from one antique dealer and he said that they are french and restored will be about $200 - $250 a chair.... I will not dare do it myself but will try to find somebody who can do it professionaly....  I will like to stay on the list for a while if you dont mind,  and thank again.. helen

        Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2010
          feel free to stay...

          glad we could help.