metallic gold paint

    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
      I'm looking for a better quaility gold ( metallic ) paint
      that I can use that maybe kinda sorta looks like gold leaf
      for an item that will be taken camping and I want something
      less fragile than leaf, faster than leaf and less expensive than
      even the faux gold leaf stuff.....

      I'm also thinking of applying a clear top coat to further protect
      the paint.

      suggested brands?

    • AqA WyrdWynd
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
        sharpie has copper gold and silver, i use alot for its cheapness and works well on metal wood and paper as well as plastics and vinals

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
          There are going to be some larger areas of gold on this piece
          MUCH too much for a sharpie

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
            Your Excellency,
            two professional makers of film props, [and living history enthusiasts as well as aquaitnances of mine who've given me many useful "online tips" on this type of techincal query, - ] have separately recommended "Plasticoat" Gold Leaf paint for the type of use you describe.
             On their recommendation I have been using it on my SCA stuff since 2004 , and it lasts longer and "weather" slower than any other brand I've tried.
            In the UK "Plasticoat" is available both as liquid in pots for brush application,, and in pressurised spray cans.

            YiS,
             Lord Matthewe Baker, ODB.,
             Hospitaller for West Dragonshire,
             Insulae Draconis, Drachenwald

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
              this?

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
                or is it the
                plasti-kote brilliant gold?

                not having much luck finding info on a retailer locally

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 19, 2010
                  I am attempting use of Rust-oleum specialty metalic...for use on wood metal ect..

                  Ragnsteinn fra Andresmyri
                  Gules two battle-axes in saltire Or
                  and a chief wavy checky azure and Or
                  Honor is doing the right thing,  because it is the right thing to do.

                • Dave Ordway
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
                    Here's a technique I used on the edges of the breakdown thrones I made to give the impression of gold banding.  After filling any voids in the plywood edge and sanding smooth, I apply a coat of a paintable water resistant carpenters glue.  I use titebond II.  I then apply several thin coats of Folk Art Pure Gold #871.  It is an acrylic artists paint that can be found in craft stores like Michaels.  After drying I apply a spar urethane.  This procedure has proven durable and seals the plywood from moisture.

                    I have uploaded a photo of the thrones to the Lagerstein folder titled "pups on thrones".

                    Lagerstein

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
                      The Rust-oleum non-spray paint which comes in the tiny cans at my local hardware store works and covers very well.  it's an oil-based enamel goes on fast, dries quick,  and covers well with a somewhat leaf-like apperance, when first applied, and a little goes a long way.  The paint is thinner in consistency than the rest of the Rust-oleum enamel lineups, which actually means you get more surface area out of less paint.  I'm not sure if the spray version The disadvantage is that the metal that is used to make it does oxidize  to a more brassy/bronzy colour and it loses its lustre.  Clear coating over it should take care of it, but if you miss a spot, it will be obvious once it starts to turn.   I've used it for striping pavilion poles as well as finials, etc.  with reasonable success.  The paint looks as close to leaf as I can see any sprayed or painted product being.  For alternatives, if you don't want to have to worry about clear-coating as much, your best bet is to look into fine arts paints.  Fine artists are far less tolerant of colours changing in their artwork so the formulations of gold paints for acrylics, watercolours, etc. tend to hold up much better without oxidization than the "craft" brands of paints or hardware store stuff.  I use Holbein gold watercolour paints for scribal purposes and have been very happy with it, but in a wet environment I don't know how well it would hold up.  Acrylic would be a better choice for camping gear.

                      --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
                      Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

                      Ragn Solvi wrote:

                      I am attempting use of Rust-oleum specialty metalic...for use on wood metal ect..

                      Ragnsteinn fra Andresmyri
                      Gules two battle-axes in saltire Or
                      and a chief wavy checky azure and Or
                      Honor is doing the right thing,  because it is the right thing to do.

                    • poetryqn
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 20, 2010
                        While the acrylic craft paints available at Michael's aren't bad for small jobs, I prefer to use GOLDEN acrylics for my high end work.  They make several shades of metallic paints, all of great quality.

                        Let us know how it works out which ever way you go.

                        All the best,
                        Alissenda

                        ...et quid amabo nisi quod aenigma est?