Re: Dust Collection Systems

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 43 , Apr 17, 2010
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Don Eisele <quixote@...> ..

      > It is however *extremely* likely that you could develop respiratory problems.
      > After a few years of continual sinus infections and bronchitis, I finally
      > made the connection that they happened when I was in a woodworking phase.
      >
      > Wearing a mask did help, but not enough. I would still be covered in
      > sawdust and/or be breathing in the particles floating through the air
      > later.
      >
      > Attaching a shop vac to the equipment also did not help, the filter
      > would clog way to often to be useful.
      >
      > What *really* helped was getting a cyclone (see the link below) in
      > front of the shop vac. I have been a lot healthier ever since.
      > (No longer spending 2+ weeks of being very sick after making christmas
      > presents).

      You are 100% correct. There are two types of woodworkers: Those that are sensitive to wood-dust, and those that will be!!

      If you are considering "cheaping" out on dust control consider this. The total cost of a lung transplant is a fraction of the cost of your dust control

      My personal system is layered and extensive.
      I have a good quality DC connected to what ever it is that I am using (I also have a hood for general things)
      Plus I have a whole-shop, ceiling mounted air-filter (mine is from Delta)
      Plus I have a HEPA system designed for woodworking (from ShopFox). It filters to 0.4 microns and can be set to turn off up to three hours after you turn it on (allowing me to leave the shop with it running)
      The combination of these is such that I have almost no "fines" coating the shop (anymore)

      But wait, there's more!!!

      I also wear a Trend powered face-mask and dust filter.

      I follow the idea that if you can smell something, it can get in your blood.

      One last point, about large chips and shavings (ie lathe work). Lots of turners have tried to collect these with really big DCs, doesn't work. Contain them and use a broom

      TTFN
      Ralg
      AnTir
    • Ralph