Re: Sealing unsealed wood

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 17, 2010

      > I don't know the manufacturing processes of polyurethane all that well, but it sounds pretty environmentally toxic, no? I'd rather go with something natural.

      You've had some good advise about finish, and I will add mine, which is a little different..

      I make goblets/bowls/mazers/etc out of just wood. Nothing but wood, ya I like turning.

      For finish. For the outside I use a number of different finishes, I ten to want a thin finish that shows the wood (since I often use very nice looking woods). I use BLO (boiled Linseed Oil), Tung Oil, finishing Walnut oil, Poly, etc. What ever I think will look nice with that wood.

      But for the inside I was Envirotec Lite. I mix it and wash it around inside and work the excess out. This stuff both binds to the wood and provides a hard surface.

      Ralg (who's third lathe, a treadle is on the way)
      AnTir