Re: [MedievalSawdust] Draw Knife

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 11, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 144 KB
    On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 2:32 AM, <conradh@...> wrote:
    > On Sat, April 10, 2010 9:09 am, Electric Wolf wrote:
    >

    >> My draw knife arrived and I wanted to share.  :)
    >>

    > Interesting--not used to ones where the handles aren't at right angles to
    > the blade.  It _seems_ as if it wouldn't offer much edge control (or
    > rather offer it in a "higher gear".  Less leverage, more change of edge
    > angle with the smallest wrist adjustment.
    >
    > OTOH, those handles might be more ergonomic, for a harder/less strenuous
    > pull.
    >
    > Please let us know what you think, once you've gotten used to using them!
    >
    > Ulfhedinn

    The difference might be the whole Eastern/Western style thing. I'm
    kind of trying to learn what I can from others, use Japanese tools and
    eventually make the transition to Japanese techniques and projects.

    I have learned that it does seem to have places where it slides right
    through the wood and others where it stops like I ran into a harder
    section. The very end is tempting to put my thumbs on the pole to
    help pull through the wood if that gives you any idea of how it is
    going.

    --
    David "Wolf" Mc.
    Nullum beneficium inpune stat.