Re: [medievalsawdust] Digest Number 51

  • jrwinkler@msn.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002

      > be possible to see if something resembling the

      > "male" part of the stargazer chair was also found
      > there in close context to the first piece.  \

      That's probably the part that was
      thrown on the fire, the night before
      that rest of the stuff got buried...

      Picturing the same viking before
      he got frozen, thawed, re-aninated
      and queried....

          " brrrr.... It's a bit cilly
            tonight. Hey! that's made of
            wood, it'll burn nicley. "

      ==============

      .... naw...  any SELF RESPECTING viking would have analyzed the situation and immediately thought to himself, "Well... I COULD burn this, keep warm and avoid freezing to death only to be thawed, re-animated and queried at some future date... but if I did that it would probably deny some future people who will dedicate a great portion of their lives attempting to recreate and learn about my culture from having something cool to ponder and burn up the not-yet-invented internet with.   Hummmm.... better just to freeze to death."

      Damn those vikings were a considerate lot!!!!

      Chas.

    • Joseph Hayes
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
        Although I messed up on the age (it's early 12th century), here's the
        pictures of the Sweedish bench and original text (in German) from
        "M�bel Europas" Volume 1 by Franz Windisch-Graetz:

        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bench01.jpg
        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bench02.jpg
        http://www.midrealm.org/ballaeban/ulrich/ans/bench03.jpg

        The first sentence of the text:

        "Bank. Kungsara Kirche. V�stmanland, Schweden. Anfang 12. Jh.
        Vornehmlich Tannen-, auch Geschnitzte."

        translates as:

        Bench. Kungsara Church. V�stmanland, Sweeden. Beginning of 12th
        century. Primarily firs, also carving.

        Have fun,
        Ulrich

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002
          Could you put copies in the group's
          photo album area?

          =====

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • jrwinkler@msn.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2002

            Mobel Europas rocks...  after having having been teased by a glimpse at volume 1 at a ValDay event I went in search of...    If ya' want a copy yer' gonna' have either have deep pockets or get really lucky... my copy (Vol 1 & 2) cost a small fortune... probably the most expensive books in my library!

            Some great stuff in there though... particularly if yer' gettin' really bored with all that English stuff and are looking for some signs that there were other cultures out there besides Late German, English (anytime) and Italian Ren...  ;-)