RE: [MedievalSawdust] Squaring a round

  • Royce
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

      Well… On the thought of using a bigger hammer… You could always use a piece of bar stock hammered down on the end you want rounded.  Sharpening the forming end would definitely help…

      Bercilak

      From: Electric Wolf <elecwolf@...>
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Squaring a round
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, April 2, 2010, 2:20 AM

      Hello,

      I'm trying to turn the ends of a 'staff' into a square for the purposes of linking it up with a lantern I have modified.
      Right now I'm attempting to use my hand saw to saw down one side.
      Would this be better accomplished with plane instead?
      I can share pictures of the items if that would make this make more sense.

      David "Volk" Mc.
      Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Electric Wolf
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3, 2010
          Yeah - saw down and drawknife are probably the optimal way to go.

          Ya know, it's a good thing for anyone who does woodworking to have a drawknife and skills to use one in their tool set. They are hellova lotta fun and massively useful, and you can usually find an antique one that's fairly inexpensive.
        • Sean Powell
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2010
            I'm coming to this one late. I'm a fan of using a draw-knife and/or a
            chisel but depending on how much you need to remove you can also put and
            aggressive grit into a belt sander and have at it. Securing a clamp to
            the pole and orienting the clamp up/down/left/right will help with
            roughing the square in. An old fashion framing square rather then a
            speed square will help check perpendicularity.

            Good luck!
            Sean