Re: [MedievalSawdust] Squaring a round

  • AqA WyrdWynd
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
      a hammer or heavy object works for me all the time, the analyst wasnt really happy but i did get the job done.....

      pete

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

        Well… On the thought of using a bigger hammer… You could always use a piece of bar stock hammered down on the end you want rounded.  Sharpening the forming end would definitely help…

        Bercilak

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3, 2010
            Yeah - saw down and drawknife are probably the optimal way to go.

            Ya know, it's a good thing for anyone who does woodworking to have a drawknife and skills to use one in their tool set. They are hellova lotta fun and massively useful, and you can usually find an antique one that's fairly inexpensive.
          • Sean Powell
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 3, 2010
              I'm coming to this one late. I'm a fan of using a draw-knife and/or a
              chisel but depending on how much you need to remove you can also put and
              aggressive grit into a belt sander and have at it. Securing a clamp to
              the pole and orienting the clamp up/down/left/right will help with
              roughing the square in. An old fashion framing square rather then a
              speed square will help check perpendicularity.

              Good luck!
              Sean