Squaring a round

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1, 2010
      Hello,

      I'm trying to turn the ends of a 'staff' into a square for the purposes of linking it up with a lantern I have modified.
      Right now I'm attempting to use my hand saw to saw down one side.
      Would this be better accomplished with plane instead?
      I can share pictures of the items if that would make this make more sense.

      David "Volk" Mc.
      Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
    • leaking pen

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
          On Thu, April 1, 2010 11:20 pm, Electric Wolf wrote:
          > Hello,
          >

          > I'm trying to turn the ends of a 'staff' into a square for the purposes
          > of linking it up with a lantern I have modified. Right now I'm attempting
          > to use my hand saw to saw down one side. Would this be better accomplished
          > with plane instead? I can share pictures of the items if that would make
          > this make more sense.

          I would be inclined to use a drawknife (or just a pocket knife if you
          don't have the other tool), perhaps with a plane or sandpaper to smooth it
          up. I assume you only need to square a short bit of the staff, to fit a
          socket or the like?

          Incidentally, if you get a bit of small angle iron (considerably less than
          the diameter of the staff) you can lay the V of it along the staff and use
          the edge as a ruler. It will give you a true straight line down the
          staff. Fiddle with a compass or dividers until it goes around the
          circumference just four times and ends up where you started, then use the
          angle iron to draw a line through each mark. Should give you a true
          square layout. Whittle down to those marks. It may still be too large
          for your socket, but it will be much easier to reduce it evenly if you
          have a true square to work from.

          Hope this helps,

          Ulfhedinn
        • Electric Wolf
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
            On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:12 AM, <conradh@...> wrote:
            > On Thu, April 1, 2010 11:20 pm, Electric Wolf wrote:
            >> Hello,
            >>

            >> I'm trying to turn the ends of a 'staff' into a square for the purposes
            >> of linking it up with a lantern I have modified. Right now I'm attempting
            >> to use my hand saw to saw down one side. Would this be better accomplished
            >> with plane instead? I can share pictures of the items if that would make
            >> this make more sense.
            >

            > I would be inclined to use a drawknife (or just a pocket knife if you
            > don't have the other tool), perhaps with a plane or sandpaper to smooth it
            > up.  I assume you only need to square a short bit of the staff, to fit a
            > socket or the like?
            >
            > Incidentally, if you get a bit of small angle iron (considerably less than
            > the diameter of the staff) you can lay the V of it along the staff and use
            > the edge as a ruler.  It will give you a true straight line down the
            > staff.  Fiddle with a compass or dividers until it goes around the
            > circumference just four times and ends up where you started, then use the
            > angle iron to draw a line through each mark.  Should give you a true
            > square layout.  Whittle down to those marks.  It may still be too large
            > for your socket, but it will be much easier to reduce it evenly if you
            > have a true square to work from.
            >
            > Hope this helps,
            >
            > Ulfhedinn

            Thank you both very much. I think draw knife is more what I was
            looking for when I mentioned plane and tried asking the hardware
            person about a draw plane...
            I wasn't originally looking at doing a short section so I was hoping
            to find something besides hoping I could keep my saw steady and level
            at a very complex angle. And I was going by markings on the end of
            the staff so that angle iron idea is most excellent. I have a plan
            that will allow me to cut a smaller section down and I will look into
            a draw knife.

            Again, thank you both very much. :)

            --
            David "Wolf" Mc.
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
              No sweat, thats what the group is for, right?  Remember to post pics when your done, and tell us what technique you went with!

              On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:28 AM, Electric Wolf <elecwolf@...> wrote:

              On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:12 AM, <conradh@...> wrote:
              > On Thu, April 1, 2010 11:20 pm, Electric Wolf wrote:
              >> Hello,
              >>

              >> I'm trying to turn the ends of a 'staff' into a square for the purposes
              >> of linking it up with a lantern I have modified. Right now I'm attempting
              >> to use my hand saw to saw down one side. Would this be better accomplished
              >> with plane instead? I can share pictures of the items if that would make
              >> this make more sense.
              >

              > I would be inclined to use a drawknife (or just a pocket knife if you
              > don't have the other tool), perhaps with a plane or sandpaper to smooth it
              > up.  I assume you only need to square a short bit of the staff, to fit a
              > socket or the like?
              >
              > Incidentally, if you get a bit of small angle iron (considerably less than
              > the diameter of the staff) you can lay the V of it along the staff and use
              > the edge as a ruler.  It will give you a true straight line down the
              > staff.  Fiddle with a compass or dividers until it goes around the
              > circumference just four times and ends up where you started, then use the
              > angle iron to draw a line through each mark.  Should give you a true
              > square layout.  Whittle down to those marks.  It may still be too large
              > for your socket, but it will be much easier to reduce it evenly if you
              > have a true square to work from.
              >
              > Hope this helps,
              >
              > Ulfhedinn

              Thank you both very much. I think draw knife is more what I was
              looking for when I mentioned plane and tried asking the hardware
              person about a draw plane...
              I wasn't originally looking at doing a short section so I was hoping
              to find something besides hoping I could keep my saw steady and level
              at a very complex angle. And I was going by markings on the end of
              the staff so that angle iron idea is most excellent. I have a plan
              that will allow me to cut a smaller section down and I will look into
              a draw knife.

              Again, thank you both very much. :)

              --
              David "Wolf" Mc.
              Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

            • AlbionWood
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
                Drawknife would be my choice, if you already have one and know how to use it.  If not, there's a learning curve... and it will be tricky in any case because you may have grain reversal to deal with as you go around four sides.

                Another way to do it would be to first mark out the four corner lines using Ulfedhinn's angle-stock trick (nice one!), and then use a crosscut saw to make a series of shallow cuts between the marks - cutting not quite all the way to the line - then use a chisel to pop off the waste, and then clean up with the chisel to the line.  Same method many use to make tenons (which is basically what you are doing).

                Trying to hand-rip the sides off sounds like a difficult business, but if you're really good with a ripsaw it's certainly possible.  Again, I'd saw outside the line and clean up with a chisel.

                Cheers,
                Tim

                Electric Wolf wrote:
                Hello,

                I'm trying to turn the ends of a 'staff' into a square for the purposes of linking it up with a lantern I have modified.
                Right now I'm attempting to use my hand saw to saw down one side.
                Would this be better accomplished with plane instead?
                I can share pictures of the items if that would make this make more sense.

                David "Volk" Mc.
                Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

                <*> Your email settings:
                    Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:
                    medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com

                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • AqA WyrdWynd
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010
                  a hammer or heavy object works for me all the time, the analyst wasnt really happy but i did get the job done.....

                  pete

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

                    Well… On the thought of using a bigger hammer… You could always use a piece of bar stock hammered down on the end you want rounded.  Sharpening the forming end would definitely help…

                    Bercilak

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 2, 2010

                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2010
                        Yeah - saw down and drawknife are probably the optimal way to go.

                        Ya know, it's a good thing for anyone who does woodworking to have a drawknife and skills to use one in their tool set. They are hellova lotta fun and massively useful, and you can usually find an antique one that's fairly inexpensive.
                      • Sean Powell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 3, 2010
                          I'm coming to this one late. I'm a fan of using a draw-knife and/or a
                          chisel but depending on how much you need to remove you can also put and
                          aggressive grit into a belt sander and have at it. Securing a clamp to
                          the pole and orienting the clamp up/down/left/right will help with
                          roughing the square in. An old fashion framing square rather then a
                          speed square will help check perpendicularity.

                          Good luck!
                          Sean