Re: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
      The book you will need is The Mastermyr Find by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta
      Berg
      isbn: 0-9650755-1-6

      Details, scaled drawings, and cross sections!

      James Cunningham

      . I am currently working on plans for a
      > Mastermyr chest. You can search online for those two names and you will
      > find some. Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year. I
      have
      > already built two of the mastermyr chests. Just gotta draft the thing up.

    • Arthur Slaughter
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
        Can't recomend this book enough. My copy is getting totaly worn out.  There is also a project by a black smithing group to replicate  the chest and all the contents.  Saw it last summer at an event. Impressive!
        Finn
        The book you will need is The Mastermyr Find  by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta
        Berg
        isbn: 0-9650755-1-6

        Details, scaled drawings, and cross sections!

        James Cunningham

        .  I am currently working on plans for a
        > Mastermyr chest.  You can search online for those two names and you will
        > find some.  Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year.  I
        have
        > already built two of the mastermyr chests.  Just gotta draft the thing up.

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Dan Baker
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
          Yep, I have that book. The drawings and pictures were a great help in
          making my version. There are also a great number of online sources and
          other peoples versions that can be found with a search engine. I did mine
          based mostly on that book. therefore I had to calculate angles and such
          based on the measurements and pictures there.

          --
          In service to the dream,

          Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
          Privateer to the Midrealm

          Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
          (Take time to dance in the rain)

          Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

          Grab our best dial-up Internet access offer: 6 months @$9.95/month.
          http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
        • kjworz@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
            The nails, like all nails for a couple thousand years, were made of iron. What we would call wrought iron. They don't make wrought iron today. Too expensive cuz of the labor.

            Simple, and overly simplistic, metallurgical lesson:

            Iron with next to no carbon = wrought iron

            Iron with a tiny bit of carbon (.4 - 1.2 % ) = steel

            Iron with a lot of carbon = cast iron.

            So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.

            --
            -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
            Stealth #97
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
              Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

              http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm

              Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too, pertaining to nails.

              Simon Hondy

              > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
              > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
              >
              > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
              > --
              > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
              > Stealth #97
              > Silver Spring, MD

            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                James Cunningham
                > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                >
                > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                pertaining to nails.

                > Simon Hondy
                >

                > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                > >
                > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                > > --
                > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                > > Stealth #97
                > > Silver Spring, MD

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • J
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                  Yes, I just read that at:
                  http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/chests/Oseberg/oschests/
                  Now, what would that look like?
                  Would they look like galvanized nails?
                  I have copper "rosehead" nails that I think I might use. I think that
                  they would make a nice contrast contrast against the iron straps.

                  Thanks for all the help from everyone. I now have what I need to get
                  started (well, enough to get started on once I get my shop moved).

                  /Smithur

                  On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                  the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                  James Cunningham
                  > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                  nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                  a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                  > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                  >
                  > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                  pertaining to nails.

                  > Simon Hondy
                  >

                  > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                  > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                  > >
                  > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                  thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                  pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                  scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                  quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                  Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                  > > --
                  > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                  > > Stealth #97
                  > > Silver Spring, MD

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                    Even a Dane on a viking knows that copper and iron do not work well
                    together. Tin and copper(as in boiling pots) and Tin and steel(old milk
                    cans) work. Copper and iron corrode each other. In modern plumbing you
                    have to separrate(sp) the two with bronze or plastic. On the other hand I
                    just pulled copper nails out of steel hardward on a turn of the Other
                    Century camel back trunk(ie: chest).

                    James Cunningham