Re: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
      The book you will need is The Mastermyr Find by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta
      Berg
      isbn: 0-9650755-1-6

      Details, scaled drawings, and cross sections!

      James Cunningham

      . I am currently working on plans for a
      > Mastermyr chest. You can search online for those two names and you will
      > find some. Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year. I
      have
      > already built two of the mastermyr chests. Just gotta draft the thing up.

    • Arthur Slaughter
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
        My plans  are posted here   http://www.earlyperiod.com/ Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
        Finn
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
          Can't recomend this book enough. My copy is getting totaly worn out.  There is also a project by a black smithing group to replicate  the chest and all the contents.  Saw it last summer at an event. Impressive!
          Finn
          The book you will need is The Mastermyr Find  by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta
          Berg
          isbn: 0-9650755-1-6

          Details, scaled drawings, and cross sections!

          James Cunningham

          .  I am currently working on plans for a
          > Mastermyr chest.  You can search online for those two names and you will
          > find some.  Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year.  I
          have
          > already built two of the mastermyr chests.  Just gotta draft the thing up.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
            Yep, I have that book. The drawings and pictures were a great help in
            making my version. There are also a great number of online sources and
            other peoples versions that can be found with a search engine. I did mine
            based mostly on that book. therefore I had to calculate angles and such
            based on the measurements and pictures there.

            --

            Grab our best dial-up Internet access offer: 6 months @$9.95/month.
            http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
          • kjworz@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
              The nails, like all nails for a couple thousand years, were made of iron. What we would call wrought iron. They don't make wrought iron today. Too expensive cuz of the labor.

              Simple, and overly simplistic, metallurgical lesson:

              Iron with next to no carbon = wrought iron

              Iron with a tiny bit of carbon (.4 - 1.2 % ) = steel

              Iron with a lot of carbon = cast iron.

              So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.

              --
              -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
              Stealth #97
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm

                Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too, pertaining to nails.

                Simon Hondy

                > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                >
                > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                > --
                > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                > Stealth #97
                > Silver Spring, MD

              • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                  On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                  the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                  James Cunningham
                  > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                  nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                  a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                  > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                  >
                  > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                  pertaining to nails.

                  > Simon Hondy
                  >

                  > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                  > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                  > >
                  > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                  thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                  pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                  scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                  quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                  Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                  > > --
                  > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                  > > Stealth #97
                  > > Silver Spring, MD

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • J
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                    Yes, I just read that at:
                    http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/chests/Oseberg/oschests/
                    Now, what would that look like?
                    Would they look like galvanized nails?
                    I have copper "rosehead" nails that I think I might use. I think that
                    they would make a nice contrast contrast against the iron straps.

                    Thanks for all the help from everyone. I now have what I need to get
                    started (well, enough to get started on once I get my shop moved).

                    /Smithur

                    On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                    the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                    James Cunningham
                    > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                    nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                    a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                    > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                    >
                    > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                    pertaining to nails.

                    > Simon Hondy
                    >

                    > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                    > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                    > >
                    > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                    thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                    pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                    scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                    quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                    Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                    > > --
                    > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                    > > Stealth #97
                    > > Silver Spring, MD

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                      Even a Dane on a viking knows that copper and iron do not work well
                      together. Tin and copper(as in boiling pots) and Tin and steel(old milk
                      cans) work. Copper and iron corrode each other. In modern plumbing you
                      have to separrate(sp) the two with bronze or plastic. On the other hand I
                      just pulled copper nails out of steel hardward on a turn of the Other
                      Century camel back trunk(ie: chest).

                      James Cunningham