Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Tent poles

  • powell.sean@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 19, 2010

      I have actually bought red-oak 2x4's at my local Home Depot. unlike some my local one has a good selection of wood where as I go to Lowes for flooring, lightfixtures and more decorating type stuff.

      If you pay attention to reverse the grain direction then a laminated 2x2 is actually more dimensionally stable then a solid 2x2. It is also less prone to splitting as the split will not cross the glue boundary. A lot of what looks like solid craftman furniture is made from 4 pieces of 1/4 sawn oak that are milled into trapazoids and then glued to a 5th interior square piece. This is the only way to get a cross radial grain structure on all 4 sides instead of just 2.

      For laminating an oak table top you would want perfectly flat and straight edges which would require a joiner. For something as flexible as 1x2 you could screw it together but then the screws would show. I would do it with a F**k-load of clamps. If you take a piece of heavy plywood and screw a STRAIGHT 2x4 to it and another mostly straight one 1.75 inches away then you could line it with wax paper (incase the glue drips you don't want to glue your post to the form) and then use pairs of shims to squeeze the 2 boards to the straight 2x4 and make a laminated pole. This is often done when laminating boards into making an arch but your arch is straight.

      Now that I think of it you could also take 2 piece of angle iron, a whole bunch of laminated pole pairs and 1 good bar clamp for every 9-12" of pole length and clamp a bunch as a unit. This is similar to laying up a butcher-block table-top out of poles. It does help if you run each one through a planer first to be certain you don't have any thin sections.

      Generally though I've had good luck with cheap 2x2's. When I have ripped 2x4's there is invariable a knot someplace that turns half of it into kindling. At that point I'd rather just pick out good 2x2's (Locally that means Lowes, my Home Depot doesn't cary 2x2's except in pressure treated and those ALWAYS warp)

      I have also found that painting them does a lot to reduce warpage. YMMV.

      Good luck!