Re: Making a Octogon Pole

  • brother_wm
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Chad Hamilton <chad.laurie@...> wrote:
      > This is a real easy way to make a decent octagon pole from square stock without measuring a thing.
      > Get your table saw blade to 45 degrees --> \
      > 1. With the saw OFF, place your square stock on it's corner against the blade. --> \<>
      > 2. Then bring your rip fence up to the other corner of the square stock. --> \<>|
      > 3. Lock down your fence and saw off the corners.
      > 4. Take a hand-plane and shave off the saw blade marks and no one will know.
      > 5. Found this tip in a wood magazine and thought that I would share.

      OR:
      Get out your Birdsmouth bits, fire up the router, and then glue up 6, 8, 12, or 16 sided masts that are as strong as you will ever find in wood.
      http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Birds-Mouth-Joint-Bits/products/110/
      Explanation of how they work is here:
      http://www.turningaround.org/BirdMouth.htm
      What he doesn't go into, is the boards can be tapered so you wind up with a nice mast for each set, the top being small with the pin, and the bottom with a hole in the center for a short post up the middle on (welded to) a flat plate with pins (driven through holes in the plate, or welded to the bottom) to hold it to the ground and keep from sliding.

      Then all you have to do is figure out how to rip a 2x4 corner to corner!

      RileyG