Re: [MedievalSawdust] Making a Octogon Pole

  • Michael Houghton
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
      Howdy!

      On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Chad Hamilton
      <chad.laurie@...> wrote:

      > This is a real easy way to make a decent octagon pole from square stock without measuring a thing.
      >
      > Get your table saw blade to 45 degrees --> \
      > With the saw OFF, place your square stock on it's corner against the blade. --> \<>
      > Then bring your rip fence up to the other corner of the square stock. -->  \<>|
      > Lock down your fence and saw off the corners.
      > Take a hand-plane and shave off the saw blade marks and no one will know.
      >
      > Found this tip in a wood magazine and thought that I would share.

      I use that trick all the time for making the rollers for my looms. It works very
      well.

      yours,
      Herveus
      --
      Michael Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde
      herveus@...         | White Wolf and the Phoenix
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
        Took me a while to figure it out but I
        have a hexagon that I use for the base
        of my banner stands....

        The size was figures to keep as many things
        simple to set up as possible

        I'll check the math and get back to you
        if you are interested....

        I do know you need a 3 1/2 x 4 block to get
        the hex size I use as an end result.

        Gonna replace a center pole for my tent with
        one after I buy the 16 million clamps I'll need
        to glue it up   lol

        herveus@gmail. com         | White Wolf and the Phoenix
        Bowie, MD, USA            | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff
                                 | http://whitewolfand phoenix.com

      • brother_wm
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Chad Hamilton <chad.laurie@...> wrote:
          > This is a real easy way to make a decent octagon pole from square stock without measuring a thing.
          > Get your table saw blade to 45 degrees --> \
          > 1. With the saw OFF, place your square stock on it's corner against the blade. --> \<>
          > 2. Then bring your rip fence up to the other corner of the square stock. --> \<>|
          > 3. Lock down your fence and saw off the corners.
          > 4. Take a hand-plane and shave off the saw blade marks and no one will know.
          > 5. Found this tip in a wood magazine and thought that I would share.

          OR:
          Get out your Birdsmouth bits, fire up the router, and then glue up 6, 8, 12, or 16 sided masts that are as strong as you will ever find in wood.
          http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Birds-Mouth-Joint-Bits/products/110/
          Explanation of how they work is here:
          http://www.turningaround.org/BirdMouth.htm
          What he doesn't go into, is the boards can be tapered so you wind up with a nice mast for each set, the top being small with the pin, and the bottom with a hole in the center for a short post up the middle on (welded to) a flat plate with pins (driven through holes in the plate, or welded to the bottom) to hold it to the ground and keep from sliding.

          Then all you have to do is figure out how to rip a 2x4 corner to corner!

          RileyG