Making a Octogon Pole

  • Chad Hamilton
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
      This is a real easy way to make a decent octagon pole from square stock without measuring a thing.
      1. Get your table saw blade to 45 degrees --> \
      2. With the saw OFF, place your square stock on it's corner against the blade. --> \<>
      3. Then bring your rip fence up to the other corner of the square stock. -->  \<>|
      4. Lock down your fence and saw off the corners.
      5. Take a hand-plane and shave off the saw blade marks and no one will know.
      Found this tip in a wood magazine and thought that I would share.

      Ælfwine se Pyttel
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
        I've made dozens of poles this way, so may I make a suggestion? Running a 6' plus pole through a table saw can be a little tricky when you get near the end pole because of the weight. So make a small cut in the middle of the pole at each corner, that way when you get half way through and the blade reaches the cut, the waste will drop off. You can then lift the pole off of the table saw, reverse it, and then finish the cut from the other end. Sanding or planing removes any mismatched cuts, which should be minimal. This makes it easier to cut, and keeps your hands well away from the blade when trying to keep the work piece level.

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Chad Hamilton <chad.laurie@...> wrote:

        > This is a real easy way to make a decent octagon pole from square stock without measuring a thing.
        >
        > 1. Get your table saw blade to 45 degrees --> \
        >
        > 2. With the saw OFF, place your square stock on it's corner against the blade. --> \<>
        >
        > 3. Then bring your rip fence up to the other corner of the square stock. --> \<>|
        > 4. Lock down your fence and saw off the corners.
        > 5. Take a hand-plane and shave off the saw blade marks and no one will know.
        > Found this tip in a wood magazine and thought that I would share.
        >
        > Ælfwine se Pyttel

      • Michael Houghton
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
          Howdy!

          On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:29 AM, Chad Hamilton
          <chad.laurie@...> wrote:

          > This is a real easy way to make a decent octagon pole from square stock without measuring a thing.
          >
          > Get your table saw blade to 45 degrees --> \
          > With the saw OFF, place your square stock on it's corner against the blade. --> \<>
          > Then bring your rip fence up to the other corner of the square stock. -->  \<>|
          > Lock down your fence and saw off the corners.
          > Take a hand-plane and shave off the saw blade marks and no one will know.
          >
          > Found this tip in a wood magazine and thought that I would share.

          I use that trick all the time for making the rollers for my looms. It works very
          well.

          yours,
          Herveus
          --
          Michael Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde
          herveus@...         | White Wolf and the Phoenix
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
            Took me a while to figure it out but I
            have a hexagon that I use for the base
            of my banner stands....

            The size was figures to keep as many things
            simple to set up as possible

            I'll check the math and get back to you
            if you are interested....

            I do know you need a 3 1/2 x 4 block to get
            the hex size I use as an end result.

            Gonna replace a center pole for my tent with
            one after I buy the 16 million clamps I'll need
            to glue it up   lol

            herveus@gmail. com         | White Wolf and the Phoenix
            Bowie, MD, USA            | Tablet and Inkle bands, and other stuff
                                     | http://whitewolfand phoenix.com

          • brother_wm
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Chad Hamilton <chad.laurie@...> wrote:
              > This is a real easy way to make a decent octagon pole from square stock without measuring a thing.
              > Get your table saw blade to 45 degrees --> \
              > 1. With the saw OFF, place your square stock on it's corner against the blade. --> \<>
              > 2. Then bring your rip fence up to the other corner of the square stock. --> \<>|
              > 3. Lock down your fence and saw off the corners.
              > 4. Take a hand-plane and shave off the saw blade marks and no one will know.
              > 5. Found this tip in a wood magazine and thought that I would share.

              OR:
              Get out your Birdsmouth bits, fire up the router, and then glue up 6, 8, 12, or 16 sided masts that are as strong as you will ever find in wood.
              http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/Birds-Mouth-Joint-Bits/products/110/
              Explanation of how they work is here:
              http://www.turningaround.org/BirdMouth.htm
              What he doesn't go into, is the boards can be tapered so you wind up with a nice mast for each set, the top being small with the pin, and the bottom with a hole in the center for a short post up the middle on (welded to) a flat plate with pins (driven through holes in the plate, or welded to the bottom) to hold it to the ground and keep from sliding.

              Then all you have to do is figure out how to rip a 2x4 corner to corner!

              RileyG