RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest

  • Dan Baker
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
      The Oseberg Chest and the Mastermyr chest come to mind. The Mastermyr is a
      tool chest, but looking closely at it, it was originally used for something
      else before it was a tool chest. One guess is a oarsman's chest as it is
      low and long enough to contain a sword and other things a oarsman will need
      when he gets where he is going. I am currently working on plans for a
      Mastermyr chest. You can search online for those two names and you will
      find some. Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year. I have
      already built two of the mastermyr chests. Just gotta draft the thing up.

      --
      In service to the dream,

      Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
      Privateer to the Midrealm

      Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
      (Take time to dance in the rain)

      Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

      >From: "Smithur Thordarson" <smithur@...>
      >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
      >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06 -0000
      >
      >Hello,
      >
      >I want to make a replica of a Viking Oarsman's chest (the type that
      >is wide at the bottom). However, I don't have any documentation or
      >examples to go off of.
      >Can anyone please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
      >sketches that might be helpful?
      >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood type, joinery
      >and fasteners used from any one specific find.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >
      >Jim/Smithur

      Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN.
    • Schuster, Robert L.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
         these excerpts from my archives might be of some use

        Halvgrimr

        <smithur@...>
        >To:
        medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking
        Oarsman's Chest
        >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06
        -0000

        >Hello,
        >
        >I want to make a replica of a Viking
        Oarsman's chest (the type that
        >is wide at the bottom).  However, I
        don't have any documentation or
        >examples to go off of.
        >Can anyone
        please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
        >sketches that
        might be helpful?
        >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood
        type, joinery
        >and fasteners used from any one specific
        find.

        >Thanks,
        >
        >Jim/Smithur

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • J
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
          Thank you for your help.
          The drawings From Oseberg Fundet 2 are the closest to what I was looking for.
          I'm not sure I could duplicate the lock, but the rest should be do-able.
          However, I have a few questions on details:
          WHat metal was used for the strapping and nails?
          What wood was used?(I'll probably use ash if not given a better suggestions)
          Was there handles used?
          What would the hinges look like?
          From looking at the side detail, it looks like the back of the box is square
          and the front is angled. Is that accurate?

          Thank you!!

          Smithur

           these excerpts from my archives might be of some use

          Halvgrimr

          >From: "Smithur Thordarson" <smithur@...>
          >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
          >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06 -0000
          >
          >Hello,
          >
          >I want to make a replica of a Viking Oarsman's chest (the type that
          >is wide at the bottom).  However, I don't have any documentation or
          >examples to go off of.
          >Can anyone please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
          >sketches that might be helpful?
          >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood type, joinery
          >and fasteners used from any one specific find.
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Jim/Smithur

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
            The book you will need is The Mastermyr Find by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta
            Berg
            isbn: 0-9650755-1-6

            Details, scaled drawings, and cross sections!

            James Cunningham

            . I am currently working on plans for a
            > Mastermyr chest. You can search online for those two names and you will
            > find some. Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year. I
            have
            > already built two of the mastermyr chests. Just gotta draft the thing up.

          • Arthur Slaughter
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
              My plans  are posted here   http://www.earlyperiod.com/ Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
              Finn
              The Oseberg Chest and the Mastermyr chest come to mind.  The Mastermyr is a
              tool chest, but looking closely at it, it was originally used for something
              else before it was a tool chest.  One guess is a oarsman's chest as it is
              low and long enough to contain a sword and other things a oarsman will need
              when he gets where he is going.  I am currently working on plans for a
              Mastermyr chest.  You can search online for those two names and you will
              find some.  Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year.  I have
              already built two of the mastermyr chests.  Just gotta draft the thing up.

              --
              In service to the dream,

                  Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                  Privateer to the Midrealm

                  Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                  (Take time to dance in the rain)

                  Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

              >From: "Smithur Thordarson" <smithur@...>
              >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
              >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06 -0000
              >
              >Hello,
              >
              >I want to make a replica of a Viking Oarsman's chest (the type that
              >is wide at the bottom).  However, I don't have any documentation or
              >examples to go off of.
              >Can anyone please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
              >sketches that might be helpful?
              >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood type, joinery
              >and fasteners used from any one specific find.
              >
              >Thanks,
              >
              >Jim/Smithur

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Arthur Slaughter
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                Can't recomend this book enough. My copy is getting totaly worn out.  There is also a project by a black smithing group to replicate  the chest and all the contents.  Saw it last summer at an event. Impressive!
                Finn

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                  Yep, I have that book. The drawings and pictures were a great help in
                  making my version. There are also a great number of online sources and
                  other peoples versions that can be found with a search engine. I did mine
                  based mostly on that book. therefore I had to calculate angles and such
                  based on the measurements and pictures there.

                  --

                  Grab our best dial-up Internet access offer: 6 months @$9.95/month.
                  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
                • kjworz@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                    The nails, like all nails for a couple thousand years, were made of iron. What we would call wrought iron. They don't make wrought iron today. Too expensive cuz of the labor.

                    Simple, and overly simplistic, metallurgical lesson:

                    Iron with next to no carbon = wrought iron

                    Iron with a tiny bit of carbon (.4 - 1.2 % ) = steel

                    Iron with a lot of carbon = cast iron.

                    So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.

                    --
                    -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                    Stealth #97
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                      Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                      http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm

                      Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too, pertaining to nails.

                      Simon Hondy

                      > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                      > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                      >
                      > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                      > --
                      > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                      > Stealth #97
                      > Silver Spring, MD

                    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                        On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                        the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                        James Cunningham
                        > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                        nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                        a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                        > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                        >
                        > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                        pertaining to nails.

                        > Simon Hondy
                        >

                        > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                        > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                        > >
                        > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                        thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                        pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                        scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                        quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                        Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                        > > --
                        > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                        > > Stealth #97
                        > > Silver Spring, MD

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • J
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                          Yes, I just read that at:
                          http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/chests/Oseberg/oschests/
                          Now, what would that look like?
                          Would they look like galvanized nails?
                          I have copper "rosehead" nails that I think I might use. I think that
                          they would make a nice contrast contrast against the iron straps.

                          Thanks for all the help from everyone. I now have what I need to get
                          started (well, enough to get started on once I get my shop moved).

                          /Smithur

                          On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                          the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                          James Cunningham
                          > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                          nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                          a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                          > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                          >
                          > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                          pertaining to nails.

                          > Simon Hondy
                          >

                          > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                          > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                          > >
                          > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                          thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                          pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                          scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                          quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                          Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                          > > --
                          > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                          > > Stealth #97
                          > > Silver Spring, MD

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          To visit your group on the web, go to:

                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                            Even a Dane on a viking knows that copper and iron do not work well
                            together. Tin and copper(as in boiling pots) and Tin and steel(old milk
                            cans) work. Copper and iron corrode each other. In modern plumbing you
                            have to separrate(sp) the two with bronze or plastic. On the other hand I
                            just pulled copper nails out of steel hardward on a turn of the Other
                            Century camel back trunk(ie: chest).

                            James Cunningham