Re: Speaking of wood...

  • Ralph
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Electric Wolf <elecwolf@...> wrote:

      > I live in Kansas City. Barony of Forgotten Sea. :)
      > I found a site myself but I would prefer to work with a piece or two before
      > investing
      > in a full size project worth and I don't know what would be a good price.
      > Of course with the way the workbench I am building is looking it might be a
      > better
      > idea to load up on really cheap stuff till I learn how to use my tools...

      The issue with this wood, is that it is in very high demand in Asia. While here it is considered a weed-tree and (in some areas) an invasive specie. Between the "low" value in North America and the "hi" in Asia, well much the the good wood gets sold overseas.

      I seldom see really good (cheap) prices, well, except when I take a piece to my local wood-turning club to donate for the monthly auctions (I have several trees and lost one a couple years ago)

      To work it you need to follow the usual rules for soft, easy to tear out woods

      Ralg
      AnTir
      While it is very quick growing, to start with, it slows as it hits maturity (like so many other trees)