Speaking of wood...

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2010
      Anyone familiar with Paulownia?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia
      Lots of references to it being used often in Japanese woodworking but
      I can't seem to find much about it here in the
      states so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a similar wood to work with.

      --
      David "Wolf" Mc.
      Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2010
        Where r u located? I found links for lumber by doing a google for the name. One is in tylertown mississippi. They ship.

        Michelle Peterson - froggie

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2010
          I live in Kansas City.  Barony of Forgotten Sea.  :)
          I found a site myself but I would prefer to work with a piece or two before investing
          in a full size project worth and I don't know what would be a good price.
          Of course with the way the workbench I am building is looking it might be a better
          idea to load up on really cheap stuff till I learn how to use my tools...

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2010
            Its the hardwood version of plantation pine - its as soft as pine,
            its plantation grown so very wide grown rings. It also dents like
            pine, I don't know if it splinters much. On the plus side, it grows
            like lightning and the knots can be several feet apart, also it is
            supposedly reasonably fire resistant, being used in Japan for Hibachi
            surrounds as well as for Tansu chests. I believe it is one of the
            more stable hardwoods too.

            Most of the Paulownia/Kiri/Princess/Empress Tree that is grown
            commercially is exported to China & Japan. It used to be used
            extensively in the framing of caravans / camper vans due to its light
            weight & stability. It is also seeing some popularity in lightweight
            boat building as other suitable timbers are becoming increasingly scarce.

            regards
            Brusi of Orkney

            At 10:15 PM 18/02/2010, you wrote:
            >Anyone familiar with Paulownia?
            >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulownia
            >Lots of references to it being used often in Japanese woodworking but
            >I can't seem to find much about it here in the
            >states so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a similar wood
            >to work with.
            >
            >--
            >David "Wolf" Mc.
            >Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
          • Ralph
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 21, 2010
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Electric Wolf <elecwolf@...> wrote:

              > I live in Kansas City. Barony of Forgotten Sea. :)
              > I found a site myself but I would prefer to work with a piece or two before
              > investing
              > in a full size project worth and I don't know what would be a good price.
              > Of course with the way the workbench I am building is looking it might be a
              > better
              > idea to load up on really cheap stuff till I learn how to use my tools...

              The issue with this wood, is that it is in very high demand in Asia. While here it is considered a weed-tree and (in some areas) an invasive specie. Between the "low" value in North America and the "hi" in Asia, well much the the good wood gets sold overseas.

              I seldom see really good (cheap) prices, well, except when I take a piece to my local wood-turning club to donate for the monthly auctions (I have several trees and lost one a couple years ago)

              To work it you need to follow the usual rules for soft, easy to tear out woods

              Ralg
              AnTir
              While it is very quick growing, to start with, it slows as it hits maturity (like so many other trees)