Viking Oarsman's Chest

  • Smithur Thordarson
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
      Hello,

      I want to make a replica of a Viking Oarsman's chest (the type that
      is wide at the bottom). However, I don't have any documentation or
      examples to go off of.
      Can anyone please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
      sketches that might be helpful?
      Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood type, joinery
      and fasteners used from any one specific find.

      Thanks,

      Jim/Smithur
    • Dan Baker
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
        The Oseberg Chest and the Mastermyr chest come to mind. The Mastermyr is a
        tool chest, but looking closely at it, it was originally used for something
        else before it was a tool chest. One guess is a oarsman's chest as it is
        low and long enough to contain a sword and other things a oarsman will need
        when he gets where he is going. I am currently working on plans for a
        Mastermyr chest. You can search online for those two names and you will
        find some. Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year. I have
        already built two of the mastermyr chests. Just gotta draft the thing up.

        --
        In service to the dream,

        Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
        Privateer to the Midrealm

        Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
        (Take time to dance in the rain)

        Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

        >From: "Smithur Thordarson" <smithur@...>
        >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
        >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06 -0000
        >
        >Hello,
        >
        >I want to make a replica of a Viking Oarsman's chest (the type that
        >is wide at the bottom). However, I don't have any documentation or
        >examples to go off of.
        >Can anyone please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
        >sketches that might be helpful?
        >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood type, joinery
        >and fasteners used from any one specific find.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Jim/Smithur

        Enjoy the holiday season with great tips from MSN.
      • Schuster, Robert L.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
           these excerpts from my archives might be of some use

          Halvgrimr

          <smithur@...>
          >To:
          medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking
          Oarsman's Chest
          >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06
          -0000

          >Hello,
          >
          >I want to make a replica of a Viking
          Oarsman's chest (the type that
          >is wide at the bottom).  However, I
          don't have any documentation or
          >examples to go off of.
          >Can anyone
          please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
          >sketches that
          might be helpful?
          >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood
          type, joinery
          >and fasteners used from any one specific
          find.

          >Thanks,
          >
          >Jim/Smithur

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • J
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
            Thank you for your help.
            The drawings From Oseberg Fundet 2 are the closest to what I was looking for.
            I'm not sure I could duplicate the lock, but the rest should be do-able.
            However, I have a few questions on details:
            WHat metal was used for the strapping and nails?
            What wood was used?(I'll probably use ash if not given a better suggestions)
            Was there handles used?
            What would the hinges look like?
            From looking at the side detail, it looks like the back of the box is square
            and the front is angled. Is that accurate?

            Thank you!!

            Smithur

             these excerpts from my archives might be of some use

            Halvgrimr

            >From: "Smithur Thordarson" <smithur@...>
            >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
            >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06 -0000
            >
            >Hello,
            >
            >I want to make a replica of a Viking Oarsman's chest (the type that
            >is wide at the bottom).  However, I don't have any documentation or
            >examples to go off of.
            >Can anyone please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
            >sketches that might be helpful?
            >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood type, joinery
            >and fasteners used from any one specific find.
            >
            >Thanks,
            >
            >Jim/Smithur

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
              The book you will need is The Mastermyr Find by Greta Arwidsson and Gosta
              Berg
              isbn: 0-9650755-1-6

              Details, scaled drawings, and cross sections!

              James Cunningham

              . I am currently working on plans for a
              > Mastermyr chest. You can search online for those two names and you will
              > find some. Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year. I
              have
              > already built two of the mastermyr chests. Just gotta draft the thing up.

            • Arthur Slaughter
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003
                My plans  are posted here   http://www.earlyperiod.com/ Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
                Finn
                The Oseberg Chest and the Mastermyr chest come to mind.  The Mastermyr is a
                tool chest, but looking closely at it, it was originally used for something
                else before it was a tool chest.  One guess is a oarsman's chest as it is
                low and long enough to contain a sword and other things a oarsman will need
                when he gets where he is going.  I am currently working on plans for a
                Mastermyr chest.  You can search online for those two names and you will
                find some.  Or, I should have my plans done by the end of the year.  I have
                already built two of the mastermyr chests.  Just gotta draft the thing up.

                --
                In service to the dream,

                    Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
                    Privateer to the Midrealm

                    Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
                    (Take time to dance in the rain)

                    Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

                >From: "Smithur Thordarson" <smithur@...>
                >To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                >Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:32:06 -0000
                >
                >Hello,
                >
                >I want to make a replica of a Viking Oarsman's chest (the type that
                >is wide at the bottom).  However, I don't have any documentation or
                >examples to go off of.
                >Can anyone please point me towards any plan, pics., or archeological
                >sketches that might be helpful?
                >Ideally, I'd like to know the exact dimensions, wood type, joinery
                >and fasteners used from any one specific find.
                >
                >Thanks,
                >
                >Jim/Smithur

                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Arthur Slaughter
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                  Can't recomend this book enough. My copy is getting totaly worn out.  There is also a project by a black smithing group to replicate  the chest and all the contents.  Saw it last summer at an event. Impressive!
                  Finn

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                    Yep, I have that book. The drawings and pictures were a great help in
                    making my version. There are also a great number of online sources and
                    other peoples versions that can be found with a search engine. I did mine
                    based mostly on that book. therefore I had to calculate angles and such
                    based on the measurements and pictures there.

                    --

                    Grab our best dial-up Internet access offer: 6 months @$9.95/month.
                    http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup
                  • kjworz@comcast.net
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                      The nails, like all nails for a couple thousand years, were made of iron. What we would call wrought iron. They don't make wrought iron today. Too expensive cuz of the labor.

                      Simple, and overly simplistic, metallurgical lesson:

                      Iron with next to no carbon = wrought iron

                      Iron with a tiny bit of carbon (.4 - 1.2 % ) = steel

                      Iron with a lot of carbon = cast iron.

                      So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.

                      --
                      -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                      Stealth #97
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                        Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                        http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm

                        Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too, pertaining to nails.

                        Simon Hondy

                        > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                        > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                        >
                        > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails. Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                        > --
                        > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                        > Stealth #97
                        > Silver Spring, MD

                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                          On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                          the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                          James Cunningham
                          > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                          nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                          a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                          > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                          >
                          > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                          pertaining to nails.

                          > Simon Hondy
                          >

                          > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                          > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                          > >
                          > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                          thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                          pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                          scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                          quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                          Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                          > > --
                          > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                          > > Stealth #97
                          > > Silver Spring, MD

                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • J
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                            Yes, I just read that at:
                            http://www.missouri.edu/~winsloww/archives/chests/Oseberg/oschests/
                            Now, what would that look like?
                            Would they look like galvanized nails?
                            I have copper "rosehead" nails that I think I might use. I think that
                            they would make a nice contrast contrast against the iron straps.

                            Thanks for all the help from everyone. I now have what I need to get
                            started (well, enough to get started on once I get my shop moved).

                            /Smithur

                            On the period chest that has all the nails....I think I read somewere that
                            the heads were coated/dipped in tin. Now to find the referance(sp).

                            James Cunningham
                            > Have been just skimming the thread, and went looking on the net for such
                            nails. There is a place in Scotland making the very thing, and they link to
                            a blacksmith who will hammer out nails to your need.

                            > http://www.glasgowsteelnail.com/iron.htm
                            >
                            > Another place to look! They have info on some Roman fort finds too,
                            pertaining to nails.

                            > Simon Hondy
                            >

                            > > Date: 2003/12/19 Fri AM 06:11:22 CST
                            > > Subject: RE: [medievalsawdust] Viking Oarsman's Chest
                            > >
                            > > So, what do you use on your chest is the big question. The closest
                            thing to wrought iron that is widely available is mild steel. You can get
                            pieces of that for the strapping at Home Despot or Lowes. There are still
                            scrap shops and steel shops (mostly supplying bigger companies in large
                            quantities). The nails can be approximated with simple cut masonry nails.
                            Or get a box from http://www.tremontnail.com/.
                            > > --
                            > > -Chris Schwartz, Ex-Brewer
                            > > Stealth #97
                            > > Silver Spring, MD

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                            To visit your group on the web, go to:

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 19, 2003
                              Even a Dane on a viking knows that copper and iron do not work well
                              together. Tin and copper(as in boiling pots) and Tin and steel(old milk
                              cans) work. Copper and iron corrode each other. In modern plumbing you
                              have to separrate(sp) the two with bronze or plastic. On the other hand I
                              just pulled copper nails out of steel hardward on a turn of the Other
                              Century camel back trunk(ie: chest).

                              James Cunningham