Re: Splitting

  • W. Roberts
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16, 2010
      Actually...yes!

      http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/veritasrouterplane.htm
      http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=271

      Google router plane, but make sure you're not maxed out on your credit card. Specialty handplanes aren't exactly "cheap". Of course, well-made handtools can last long enough for your great-grandchildren to use, if taken care of properly. So I consider them more of an "investment" than an "expense".

      Cheers,
      Wolf

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 16, 2010
        You need to drill pilot holes first.  Diameter of the screw minus the threads.  This is much more important in hard woods, as soft woods compress some what as you put the screw in.
        Geoffrey Featherstonehaugh
        known in the modern world as Brian E. Starke

        On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Electric Wolf <elecwolf@...> wrote:

        [Attachment(s) from Electric Wolf included below]

        Is this cheap wood or am I doing something wrong?

        --
        David "Wolf" Mc.
        Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

      • Copernicus Skygazer
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 16, 2010
          There are quite a few styles of "shaper planes" that do similar profiles
          compared to a router. Stanley tools used to make quite a few,
          YIS,
          Phillipos the Skeptic
          (and a WELL sharpened hand plan can, with some elbow grease, replace a
          planer and do as well if not better than the power version)