Re: Viking, Wood, Textile tools

  • asa.wood@excite.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
      Ugh.
      Lemme think about it.
      We're currently in the process of clearing ALL the thousands of
      books of our library out of the house, to save them from the roof
      caving in,.......but as we get them out, and pack them dryly, we've
      been packing them according to subject matter. (i.e. all the Viking
      books are in 2 large bins,....) IF I have anything (I saw something
      yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
      Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
      England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
      way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
      textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
      search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
      there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
      to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
      archeological finds. Also check the National Museum of Ireland.
      They too, have a number of books on Viking finds. In fact, my VERY
      most favorite book from there, is called "Viking-Age Decorated Wood"
      (Randalin,......heads up,......this is the same book you were so
      page by page enjoying looking at, last night. I Think I can get at
      my cards to look up the author,....Lang, James T.
      While I have the list out, I'll chck on those York books I have.

      Haven't found them yet, but there Is another unique book:
      Earwood, Caroline - "Domestic Wooden Artifacts" that concentrates
      mostly on ones of the Celtic/Vikings/Ireland area.
      Be warned though. While there's stuff in this book I've seen no-
      where else, the book is also VERY expensive. I'd expected to find
      it Far more heavily illustrated than it turned out to be

      Okay, one of the York books :

      Mainman, A.J. + Rogers "Small Finds - Craft, Industry, and Everyday
      Life" York Archeological Trust, York, Eng.

      Hmmmmmm may have to go check my bins,........dreddddd,....it's cold
      out there,....I'm typing wearing gloves, in here,.....oh, well, I'm
      dressed for the outside,....Okay,...that solves That mystery,....I
      knew I had um, but when I checked, they weren't in my
      records,....for a very good reason,....seems I failed to put them
      there,....! But,....brought them in, to fix that, and can tell ya
      for sure, which has what.

      Ah Ha
      The book (Mainman)has "Finds from Anglo-Scandanavian York"
      LOTSA stone etc. spindle whorls, and honeing stones,lotsa amber
      beads and pendants, glass works bits, pottery bits, loom weights,
      bronze needles, soapstone bits and 'lamps', spoons, metal bits etc.,
      scale parts, weights, A Hnefatafl game I've missed reproducing
      somehow,....I need to tell some one about, playing pieces, strap
      ends,and buckles,brooches, NICE pins !, rings,pendants, lotsa glass
      beads, toilet impliments, carved stone pieces, etc.

      Another of the York books (one of two I forgot to record,
      somehow,....I had a rule, after I statrted to record newly bought
      books, to never put away a book until after it was recorded and
      given a Lib code number, which went on all copies made from the
      books for my files,......no more wondering where what came
      from,...look up the code on the page, and go pull the book. This
      was a total necessity when I competed.

      Anyway.
      The following book is one that got missed:

      Morris, Carole A. Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandanavia and
      Medieval York"/ The Archeology of York The Small Finds 17/13 Craft,
      Industry and Everyday Life
      Around 250 pages to the book GOOD BOOK !!!! Lotsa Treenware, etc
      in it (and some textile tools) How many, I can't say without going
      through the book page by page. But as far as I know I'm not sure
      there Is a book exclusively on Viking-age wooden Textile tools.

      'Wood' doesn't survive near as well as other matrials, and so it's
      often one of the most difficult things to research, in regards to
      looking for primary source examples. In my home library,...this
      book, and the Lang one from Dublin (National Museum) are the two,
      VERY best books I have on Viking Wood things. The Earwood book is
      my third best.

      When you're looking at wood that has survived, you Need to keep in
      mind that what you see (in the catalogs) is the best they were able
      to preserve what they found,...that more often than not, the object
      has lost wood from the long-grain edges. i.e. you need to mentally
      fill in more wood, along the long sides of most pieces. Randalin
      was asking me about that, last night, when she was looking at the
      remains of a bowl from Dublin,....it looked like the bowl was long
      and narrow,.....but in truth, it was turned 'round' when it was
      first made, and most likely turned 'green' as it was easier to work.
      When the bowl finished drying/shrinking, it always winds up oval-
      shaped, due to the way the long sides shrink more than the ends.
      Then the bowl gets buried for many hundreds of years,....the long
      sides of the wood are weaker, and more inclined to break off, along
      the grain, resulting in the archeologist finding/rescueing more in
      length, than width. There's also a certain amount of distortion to
      keep in mind. Back in my early research days, I was constantly
      puzzled by a certain wooden (Viking) cup which had been found. The
      shape of it was strange looking, til it eventually dawned on me that
      it was shaped that way by the tons of earth that had crushed down
      upon it, and the archeologists/restorers had simply cleaned it, and
      preserved it, without attempting to try and force the poor tortured
      wood back into it's original shape, which was "U"-shaped (it
      looks 'D'-shaped in the photos/line-drawings)

      I showed Randalin a piece found in Dublin, identified as a 'cross
      arm/hammer' something. I disagree. For Many reasons, I
      believe it was simply a child's wooden ax head. I enlarged it to
      found size, then followed the curvature of the sides, and they
      curved out un-equally, clearly creating the front end of a Viking ax
      head, child size. I reproduced it, whole, as such (No, it's not in
      any of the pix. I have a number of Viking toys and textile tool
      reproductions that have not yet made it in front of my camera
      lense,...something I need to correct)
      The Lang book states though, that their purpose is no to interpret,
      but to record the finds. I have loved that book so much, it's
      almost falling apart, from where I've xeroxed so much out of it for
      my files, and enlarged SO many pieces to actual size, to reproduce.
      For the Viking-age woodcrafter/carver, I can't stress it's value
      enough.

      Another good book to add to any Viking library is "From Viking to
      Crusader" I found it at Pennsic, almost a doz. years ago, and
      hesitated to spend the 65$ on it the merchant wanted,.....but, like
      the Lang book, I have xeroxed it near to death, for EVery thing it
      has in it ! (the Earwood book cost more, 3 or 4 years later, and
      had not a fraction the illustrations as the V-C. book) Lotsa wood
      stuff in it (and more) it also contains the large platter Randalin
      is making steady progress on)

      Don't know if I've answered your question or not.
      But do check out the two museums of available books. They've both,
      no doubt added more since I last looked in on them. The Lang book I
      bought At the museum, their last, on-shelf copy, at the time, but
      I've since seen that Amazon has it, so ya might check there, first.
      The York books, you can probably have to order from them. I used a
      credit card, and it took FOREVER for them to arrive by slow boat,
      but they're good books. Oh, the other one I had forgotten to
      record of theirs, was another 'Small Finds" book on bone,
      antler,ivory, horn" There's spoons, lucets (!!!!) LOTSA combs,
      pins, etc in it.
      Enjoy the quest.
      Shara

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
      <cunning@f...> wrote:
      > Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has
      the most
      > viking/early period fiber working tools?
      >
      > James Cunningham
      >
      > What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
      > > and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
      > > museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
      > > lucky, line drawings.
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
        Thanks for the work in the cold!!

        James Cunningham

        snip----- Original Message ----- IF I have anything (I saw something
        > yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
        > Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
        > England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
        > way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
        > textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
        > search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
        > there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
        > to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
        > archeological finds.
        snip
      • windsingersmoon
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003