Splitting

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 16 6:39 AM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 206 KB
    Is this cheap wood or am I doing something wrong?

    --
    David "Wolf" Mc.
    Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
    Message 2 of 25 , Feb 16 7:00 AM
      Did you pre-drill your holes?

      Aiden

      "Those who beat their swords into plowshares plow for those who didn't"
      --Benjamin Franklin--

        Message 4 of 25 , Feb 16 7:08 AM

          It’s a little of both.  That pine is prone to splitting, and the screws are kinda thick for it. But you can work around that by pre-drilling the holes.  The screws in the batten don’t need a really tight grip until they are biting into the staves of the table top.  So get a drill bit slightly smaller than the diameter of the shaft of your screws and pre-drill the screw holes all the way through the batten before you drive the screws into the table top.

          Will

          Message 5 of 25 , Feb 16 7:38 AM
            Thank you all again.  How long should I let it stabilize?  Not sure about the screw sizes, it said 'drywall screws' and these were close to the length it said.  I will try the pre-drilling once I know how long to stabilize or is it too late since I've already cut everything?  Also, is it normally a pain in the tucas to rip a board by hand?
            There are a lot of knots in the wood but no big ones near where I drilled.

                  Message 9 of 25 , Feb 16 7:58 AM

                    Some guys let wood stabilize for months.  Others  just a few days.   I’ve never bothered, but my wood mostly comes from a non-climate controlled warehouse into my non-climate controlled shop, so it’s already done stabilizing.

                    The stabilization process is basically where you let wood moved into your shop acclimatize to the conditions where you’re going to work it.  It only takes a few hours for the temperature to match, but it can take quite some time for the moisture content.  Imagine the moisture differential between a piece of red oak milled in South Carolina and shipped to Arizona.

                    And yes, it’s always a pain to hand-rip.  As I move along the spectrum from modern to medieval, and do more handwork on the medieval pieces, the last three modern conveniences I give up are:

                    1)      Power ripsawing. I usually use the table saw.  Sometimes the bandsaw.

                    2)      Thickness planer.  I’ve only got a few hours a week to pursue this sub-hobby.  I need to finish these pieces before I die of old age.

                    3)      Artificial light in my shop.  I have to work at night, which is not generally a period practice.

                    Will

                    Message 10 of 25 , Feb 16 7:58 AM

                      I also use glue.  If I’m doing a modern piece, or faking a quick and dirty “conan” piece, I go the screw and glue route.

                      Message 11 of 25 , Feb 16 8:04 AM

                        Remember – measure twice, cut once.

                        Then measure again. Cut off some more.

                        Then measure AGAIN.  Dammit.  Cut off some more.

                        Well, crap, NOW it’s too SHORT.  Hand me that other board.

                        Message 12 of 25 , Feb 16 8:07 AM
                          I have found this to be invaluable in the shop:

                          http://hand-tools.hardwarestore.com/21-399-other-measuring-tools/drill-gauge-stainless-steel-620368.aspx

                          A metal drill bit template.  It is a super quick and easy way to find out the size of bit needed to pre-drill holes.  Basically just take the screw and screw it by hand into a hole, find the hole that fits the best.  Look at the size and that is the bit you want to predrill your holes with.

                          Its also REALLY handy for sizing those random drill bits floating around the shop. You know the ones you use all the time but never put back in the box like you are supposed to?

                          Message 13 of 25 , Feb 16 8:09 AM

                            Ooooh, yeah.  I always try to remember to say this whenever somebody self-identifies as “new to the hobby:”

                            Before you cut, always ask yourself – where it is going to go when it slips?

                            Will

                            Message 14 of 25 , Feb 16 8:17 AM
                              Arterial spray just adds to authenticity, right?
                              I'm going to enjoy talking with you all.  :)

                              Oh yeah, no room for a table saw or planer, how important is a planer?
                              Also, is there a hand tool version of the router?

                                From: Electric Wolf <elecwolf@...>

                                Also, is there a hand tool version of the router?

                                Message 16 of 25 , Feb 16 8:30 AM

                                  Hemoglobin makes for a very, very dark, almost black stain.  My apprentice, who may need a little therapy, once decided to dye a chess piece with blood ‘cause she like the color, and well, she was already bleeding, so . . .

                                  I’ve asked her not to dye the rest of the set in the same manner.

                                  For me, a planer is kind of like a microwave. I didn’t know I needed one until I got one.  Now it’s hard to imagine giving it up.  But you don’t need it just starting out.

                                  Yes, there is a hand version of a router.  I’m not familiar with them, but I seem on ebay from time to time.  Here’s an a example off the top of my head.

                                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-VINTAGE-MILLERS-FALLS-ROUTER-HAND-PLANE-NO-77_W0QQitemZ120530734336QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c10310d00

                                  Will

                                  Message 17 of 25 , Feb 16 8:54 AM
                                    pre drill holes its prolly a cheap wood, but ive used cheap wood fer my camp furniture...i drill hole thats a size smaller than my screws< pre-test on seperate junk peice of wood>...and then ai add glue to hole or screw...what type be yer choice

                                    <*>[Attachment(s) from Electric Wolf included below]

                                    Is this cheap wood or am I doing something wrong?

                                    --
                                    David "Wolf" Mc.
                                    Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

                                    <*>Attachment(s) from Electric Wolf:

                                      <*> 100_0514.gif

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                        Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                        medievalsawdust-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • AqA WyrdWynd
                                    Message 18 of 25 , Feb 16 8:57 AM

                                      or keep you heated in winter...hehehe...

                                      pete

                                      hmmm last two post didnt show my new sig >>>i asked my roomie to make me a one-key signature tab...ididnt work..soorrrry all

                                      Message 19 of 25 , Feb 16 9:00 AM
                                        yeah but the last line in my house is dang now the gnomes/.brownies have a new table

                                        pete

                                      • powell.sean@comcast.net
                                        Message 20 of 25 , Feb 16 9:01 AM

                                          It's dry, weak brittle wood. That dosn't mean you didn't spend too much for dry weak wood so it might not have been cheap.

                                          The underside of modern framing screws is a 'trumpet' head that will pull flush in soft-ish wood and dry-wall. If you use too much power putting them in you can sink the heads below the surface. If you do this in dry-wall you just patch it with spackle. if you do this with a weak board the wood wants to flow outward and split.

                                          I recomend putting screws in almost all the way with power and then finish tightening by hand... or get a drill with a variable slip control and learn how to adjust it. Adjusting it is like how fast can you drive past a cop before you get busted. The answer always comes when you don't want it.

                                          Luck!

                                          Sean

                                          Message 21 of 25 , Feb 16 9:02 AM
                                            simple answere....nearsest swollen injured toe of the guest thats gonna embarass you the most if not your own

                                            pete

                                            Message 22 of 25 , Feb 16 11:19 AM
                                              Not to mention ingenuity. P*w*r cords make great tourniquets in a pinch.

                                              Don't ask. :-D

                                                Google router plane, but make sure you're not maxed out on your credit card. Specialty handplanes aren't exactly "cheap". Of course, well-made handtools can last long enough for your great-grandchildren to use, if taken care of properly. So I consider them more of an "investment" than an "expense".

                                                Cheers,
                                                Wolf

                                                Also, is there a hand tool version of the router?
                                              • Brian Starke
                                                Message 24 of 25 , Feb 16 12:03 PM
                                                  You need to drill pilot holes first.  Diameter of the screw minus the threads.  This is much more important in hard woods, as soft woods compress some what as you put the screw in.
                                                  Geoffrey Featherstonehaugh
                                                  known in the modern world as Brian E. Starke

                                                  On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Electric Wolf <elecwolf@...> wrote:

                                                  [Attachment(s) from Electric Wolf included below]

                                                  Is this cheap wood or am I doing something wrong?

                                                  --
                                                  David "Wolf" Mc.
                                                  Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

                                                • Copernicus Skygazer
                                                  Message 25 of 25 , Feb 16 5:10 PM
                                                    There are quite a few styles of "shaper planes" that do similar profiles
                                                    compared to a router. Stanley tools used to make quite a few,
                                                    YIS,
                                                    Phillipos the Skeptic
                                                    (and a WELL sharpened hand plan can, with some elbow grease, replace a
                                                    planer and do as well if not better than the power version)