Dado

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
    My first attempt at a dado. Also my first attempt to attach files...

    I used a handsaw and a chisel. It seems to be digging more into the
    wood than I expected.
    I think the socket is going to be kind of curved but hopefully this
    will still work.

    --
    David "Wolf" Mc.
    Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
    Message 2 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
      Electric Wolf wrote:

      > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Electric Wolf included below]
      >
      > My first attempt at a dado. Also my first attempt to attach files...
      >
      > I used a handsaw and a chisel. It seems to be digging more into the
      > wood than I expected.
      > I think the socket is going to be kind of curved but hopefully this
      > will still work.

      If you make a lot of cross cuts, about 1/4" apart instead of just the
      two at the edges of the dado, you can then use a screwdriver or chisel
      to "pop" them out by putting it in the first cut at the edge and then
      moving it towards the other side of the dado. You may have to do this a
      few times, but they will all pop out, and then you can use a small hand
      plane or your chisel to clean it up.

      Message 3 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
      • 1 Attachment
      • 154 KB
      Much better. :D

      Thank you.

      Message 4 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
        Electric Wolf wrote:

        > [Attachment(s) <#TopText> from Electric Wolf included below]
        >
        > Much better. :D
        >
        > Thank you.

        You're welcome!

        Robin
        Message 5 of 5 , Feb 15, 2010
          make more than one cross cut instead of trying to
          take it all out at once