Re: New here,....Intro.

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
      <cunning@f...> wrote:
      > Wecome Asa of the Wood
      >
      > I like your work! I am not a carver and am currently very busy
      helping the
      > Countess Sharra build a mundain house in the woods of Southern
      Ohio. I am
      > interested in the " (and some on Period textile-working tools, but
      only
      > because they're wooden tools)" Because we have several ladies
      that spin and
      > weave in the area...and I like building tools!
      >
      > James Cunningham

      Please tell Countess Sharra, that my lord and I were in a
      Wendy's in GA, next to I-20,....my lord came back to the table to
      tell me, : "there's a girl, at the counter, who's name tag
      says 'Shara'"
      We went several more times. She was always there.
      One day I made a point of going to the counter to ask her about her
      name (make a note here, the girl was about 18-20) I said it
      was 'very unusual' and asked if she knew why her parents had chosen
      it ?" She said she had asked her mother,....and her mother told
      her she had "Made it up" I smiled at the girl, and looked at my
      own wrist, where I turned a well-worn beaded name bracelet around
      for her to see. On the bracelet, were letter beads spelling out the
      name "Shara" As she looked at the bracelet in total amazement,
      I didn't bother telling her it had only been my name for 21+ years,
      and I didn't tell her where it originated,....but I'd love to have
      been a fly on the wall when she got home ! <GGGGGG>
      Shara (I LOve beilding the tools ! the House Barra site has pix
      of an sca demo and workshop I'd done, with a number of my antique
      tool collection on display. Some are Medieval and Viking
      reproductions, the rest are all tools known in period.
      Not much in the way of local textile workers here, I mostly make for
      displays. What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
      and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
      museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
      lucky, line drawings.
      S.
    • James W. Pratt, Jr.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
        Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has the most
        viking/early period fiber working tools?

        James Cunningham

      • asa.wood@excite.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
          Ugh.
          Lemme think about it.
          We're currently in the process of clearing ALL the thousands of
          books of our library out of the house, to save them from the roof
          caving in,.......but as we get them out, and pack them dryly, we've
          been packing them according to subject matter. (i.e. all the Viking
          books are in 2 large bins,....) IF I have anything (I saw something
          yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
          Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
          England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
          way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
          textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
          search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
          there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
          to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
          archeological finds. Also check the National Museum of Ireland.
          They too, have a number of books on Viking finds. In fact, my VERY
          most favorite book from there, is called "Viking-Age Decorated Wood"
          (Randalin,......heads up,......this is the same book you were so
          page by page enjoying looking at, last night. I Think I can get at
          my cards to look up the author,....Lang, James T.
          While I have the list out, I'll chck on those York books I have.

          Haven't found them yet, but there Is another unique book:
          Earwood, Caroline - "Domestic Wooden Artifacts" that concentrates
          mostly on ones of the Celtic/Vikings/Ireland area.
          Be warned though. While there's stuff in this book I've seen no-
          where else, the book is also VERY expensive. I'd expected to find
          it Far more heavily illustrated than it turned out to be

          Okay, one of the York books :

          Mainman, A.J. + Rogers "Small Finds - Craft, Industry, and Everyday
          Life" York Archeological Trust, York, Eng.

          Hmmmmmm may have to go check my bins,........dreddddd,....it's cold
          out there,....I'm typing wearing gloves, in here,.....oh, well, I'm
          dressed for the outside,....Okay,...that solves That mystery,....I
          knew I had um, but when I checked, they weren't in my
          records,....for a very good reason,....seems I failed to put them
          there,....! But,....brought them in, to fix that, and can tell ya
          for sure, which has what.

          Ah Ha
          The book (Mainman)has "Finds from Anglo-Scandanavian York"
          LOTSA stone etc. spindle whorls, and honeing stones,lotsa amber
          beads and pendants, glass works bits, pottery bits, loom weights,
          bronze needles, soapstone bits and 'lamps', spoons, metal bits etc.,
          scale parts, weights, A Hnefatafl game I've missed reproducing
          somehow,....I need to tell some one about, playing pieces, strap
          ends,and buckles,brooches, NICE pins !, rings,pendants, lotsa glass
          beads, toilet impliments, carved stone pieces, etc.

          Another of the York books (one of two I forgot to record,
          somehow,....I had a rule, after I statrted to record newly bought
          books, to never put away a book until after it was recorded and
          given a Lib code number, which went on all copies made from the
          books for my files,......no more wondering where what came
          from,...look up the code on the page, and go pull the book. This
          was a total necessity when I competed.

          Anyway.
          The following book is one that got missed:

          Morris, Carole A. Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandanavia and
          Medieval York"/ The Archeology of York The Small Finds 17/13 Craft,
          Industry and Everyday Life
          Around 250 pages to the book GOOD BOOK !!!! Lotsa Treenware, etc
          in it (and some textile tools) How many, I can't say without going
          through the book page by page. But as far as I know I'm not sure
          there Is a book exclusively on Viking-age wooden Textile tools.

          'Wood' doesn't survive near as well as other matrials, and so it's
          often one of the most difficult things to research, in regards to
          looking for primary source examples. In my home library,...this
          book, and the Lang one from Dublin (National Museum) are the two,
          VERY best books I have on Viking Wood things. The Earwood book is
          my third best.

          When you're looking at wood that has survived, you Need to keep in
          mind that what you see (in the catalogs) is the best they were able
          to preserve what they found,...that more often than not, the object
          has lost wood from the long-grain edges. i.e. you need to mentally
          fill in more wood, along the long sides of most pieces. Randalin
          was asking me about that, last night, when she was looking at the
          remains of a bowl from Dublin,....it looked like the bowl was long
          and narrow,.....but in truth, it was turned 'round' when it was
          first made, and most likely turned 'green' as it was easier to work.
          When the bowl finished drying/shrinking, it always winds up oval-
          shaped, due to the way the long sides shrink more than the ends.
          Then the bowl gets buried for many hundreds of years,....the long
          sides of the wood are weaker, and more inclined to break off, along
          the grain, resulting in the archeologist finding/rescueing more in
          length, than width. There's also a certain amount of distortion to
          keep in mind. Back in my early research days, I was constantly
          puzzled by a certain wooden (Viking) cup which had been found. The
          shape of it was strange looking, til it eventually dawned on me that
          it was shaped that way by the tons of earth that had crushed down
          upon it, and the archeologists/restorers had simply cleaned it, and
          preserved it, without attempting to try and force the poor tortured
          wood back into it's original shape, which was "U"-shaped (it
          looks 'D'-shaped in the photos/line-drawings)

          I showed Randalin a piece found in Dublin, identified as a 'cross
          arm/hammer' something. I disagree. For Many reasons, I
          believe it was simply a child's wooden ax head. I enlarged it to
          found size, then followed the curvature of the sides, and they
          curved out un-equally, clearly creating the front end of a Viking ax
          head, child size. I reproduced it, whole, as such (No, it's not in
          any of the pix. I have a number of Viking toys and textile tool
          reproductions that have not yet made it in front of my camera
          lense,...something I need to correct)
          The Lang book states though, that their purpose is no to interpret,
          but to record the finds. I have loved that book so much, it's
          almost falling apart, from where I've xeroxed so much out of it for
          my files, and enlarged SO many pieces to actual size, to reproduce.
          For the Viking-age woodcrafter/carver, I can't stress it's value
          enough.

          Another good book to add to any Viking library is "From Viking to
          Crusader" I found it at Pennsic, almost a doz. years ago, and
          hesitated to spend the 65$ on it the merchant wanted,.....but, like
          the Lang book, I have xeroxed it near to death, for EVery thing it
          has in it ! (the Earwood book cost more, 3 or 4 years later, and
          had not a fraction the illustrations as the V-C. book) Lotsa wood
          stuff in it (and more) it also contains the large platter Randalin
          is making steady progress on)

          Don't know if I've answered your question or not.
          But do check out the two museums of available books. They've both,
          no doubt added more since I last looked in on them. The Lang book I
          bought At the museum, their last, on-shelf copy, at the time, but
          I've since seen that Amazon has it, so ya might check there, first.
          The York books, you can probably have to order from them. I used a
          credit card, and it took FOREVER for them to arrive by slow boat,
          but they're good books. Oh, the other one I had forgotten to
          record of theirs, was another 'Small Finds" book on bone,
          antler,ivory, horn" There's spoons, lucets (!!!!) LOTSA combs,
          pins, etc in it.
          Enjoy the quest.
          Shara

          <cunning@f...> wrote:
          > Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has
          the most
          > viking/early period fiber working tools?
          >
          > James Cunningham
          >
          > What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
          > > and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
          > > museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
          > > lucky, line drawings.
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
            Thanks for the work in the cold!!

            James Cunningham

            snip----- Original Message ----- IF I have anything (I saw something
            > yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
            > Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
            > England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
            > way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
            > textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
            > search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
            > there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
            > to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
            > archeological finds.
            snip
          • windsingersmoon
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003