Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Starting out

  • Electric Wolf
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
      On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Wilhelm von Frankfurt
      <mramey@...> wrote:
      > While there are many way yo do this, I'd use 3/4" (softwood) plywood.  Cut, prime it, and paint it.  Ensure that u prime & paint the edges, as this is where moisture will attack.
      >
      > Size 24" x 36". (2 x 3)
      > Measure 18" down on each side; these are the static points of your string compass
      > Use a string compass 24" radius, I.e. shield width, to draw your heater shape
      > cut, (drill hanger holes if necessary), prime, paint
      >
      > MJR

      Thank you all so very very much. I shall be picking up lumber in the
      morning and getting started right away.

      --
      David "Wolf" Mc.
      Nullum beneficium inpune stat.
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
        *dodging hamsters*
        It's not that people are rude or complain, I mean I got compliments on my pseudo-sumo roof but it's just that when minor things are out of place or something and people notice it, I feel like I've failed.  It's more a lack of confidence that I need to get over.

        David "Wolf" Mc.
        Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

        On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 11:07 AM, AqA WyrdWynd <wyrdwynd@...> wrote:

        from pete/aqa/taal

        those that would say such things are usually the rude authenti-nazis....or just plain rude...and nine times out a ten they've yet to do themselves what they are critiquing....on the other hand a gentle critique is good for helping you improve your skills...and a third .....anyone that critiques a gift should be smacked up side the headussually with the said gift

        """""Has to 'don't be afraid to try', that really is one of my main fears.  Putting
        several months of work into something and then finding out once someone
        else sees it that I have used the wrong wood, got the grain sideways, etc is
        a little disheartening..."""

      • AqA WyrdWynd
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 14, 2010
          well changed that " failed"..to OOPsed" and you should have no problems..FIDO attitude about what people say is best when confidence is tender.....GIRD THY LOINS YOUNG WARRIOR, A BREASTPLATE TO PROTECT THE HEART, A GLORIOUS HELM FOR THY HEAD BUT LEAVE THE BUTTOCKS FREE, THUS THEY MAY KISS IN THIER PASSING AS YOU STRIDEFORTH TOWARD YOUR PENDING GLORY.....

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 14, 2010
            ARGH THE MAILER SENT OUT MY REPONCE BEFORE IWAS DONE...IN OTHER WORDS PER MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT, TRY TO TOUGHEN THE SKIN AGAINST MOST CRITISIMS, WHAT SAID THAT DOESNT TEACH SHOULD REACH YOU AND THUS THINE ARSE BE FREE OF SMOOCHES...

            PETE

            dang caps key...

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 14, 2010
              nah...boomerrang hamsters...they hang about my noggin

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                This is the second place I've seen someone sign off with yodeling hamsters.
                Is there a reference here that is getting past me?

                Why the large, pink declaration of it?  Does it have anything to do with a Gay Pride Parade?
                Herr Thomas von Holthausen
                Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir

                http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/eastkingdo m

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                  1. Did you bind the edge in any way?  I can't tell from picture.

                  2. Maybe I could tell from picture, if I could figure out how to get it larger.  Can anyone help?

                  3. How does one go about posting to the list with attachment on the site as several messages have done recently?

                  Thanks all, for having this open and ongoing conversation, for helping people new to woodworking, for explaining how to participate for your elders who don't have lots of folks around to ask how these web things are usually done.
                  Herr Thomas von Holthausen
                  Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir

                  here is the front of the shield.. I Thought I had both pictures on the Attchment... ......... ......... ......... .Christain. ..

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                    visability, yet not intrusive as blue or green brites, earthtones didnt cut it...and im the only one its my creation, im on medival encampment and medival trivia also

                    i  gonna thank you too for sending this file

                    pete/taal

                  • Chris

                      While there are many way yo do this, I'd use 3/4" (softwood) plywood. Cut, prime it, and paint it. Ensure that u prime & paint the edges, as this is where moisture will attack.

                      Size 24" x 36". (2 x 3)
                      Measure 18" down on each side; these are the static points of your string compass
                      Use a string compass 24" radius, I.e. shield width, to draw your heater shape
                      cut, (drill hanger holes if necessary), prime, paint

                      MJR

                    • Thomas von Holthausen
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                        Did something similar with my second shield, a kite.  Had half inch aluminum channel material and nailed it in place, bending as I went.  Did not think to rough up and paint with field color.  Must have done painting before adding banding.  Eventually got tired of having trouble with round base and cut a tuna can in half to hold in place and keep water out of base.  Very sturdy, but don't  look too closely.