Re: New here,....Intro.

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, kjworz@c... wrote:

      > Welcome!
      >
      > You never said, and it is difficult to discern from the web
      links... From what part of the Kingdom do you hail?

      > --
      > -Chirho
      > Shire of Roxbury Mill, Kingdom of Atlantia
      > Silver Spring, MD

      Meridies
      Shara

    • windsingersmoon
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
        <cunning@f...> wrote:
        > Wecome Asa of the Wood
        >
        > I like your work! I am not a carver and am currently very busy
        helping the
        > Countess Sharra build a mundain house in the woods of Southern
        Ohio. I am
        > interested in the " (and some on Period textile-working tools, but
        only
        > because they're wooden tools)" Because we have several ladies
        that spin and
        > weave in the area...and I like building tools!
        >
        > James Cunningham

        Please tell Countess Sharra, that my lord and I were in a
        Wendy's in GA, next to I-20,....my lord came back to the table to
        tell me, : "there's a girl, at the counter, who's name tag
        says 'Shara'"
        We went several more times. She was always there.
        One day I made a point of going to the counter to ask her about her
        name (make a note here, the girl was about 18-20) I said it
        was 'very unusual' and asked if she knew why her parents had chosen
        it ?" She said she had asked her mother,....and her mother told
        her she had "Made it up" I smiled at the girl, and looked at my
        own wrist, where I turned a well-worn beaded name bracelet around
        for her to see. On the bracelet, were letter beads spelling out the
        name "Shara" As she looked at the bracelet in total amazement,
        I didn't bother telling her it had only been my name for 21+ years,
        and I didn't tell her where it originated,....but I'd love to have
        been a fly on the wall when she got home ! <GGGGGG>
        Shara (I LOve beilding the tools ! the House Barra site has pix
        of an sca demo and workshop I'd done, with a number of my antique
        tool collection on display. Some are Medieval and Viking
        reproductions, the rest are all tools known in period.
        Not much in the way of local textile workers here, I mostly make for
        displays. What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
        and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
        museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
        lucky, line drawings.
        S.
      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
          Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has the most
          viking/early period fiber working tools?

          James Cunningham

        • asa.wood@excite.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
            Ugh.
            Lemme think about it.
            We're currently in the process of clearing ALL the thousands of
            books of our library out of the house, to save them from the roof
            caving in,.......but as we get them out, and pack them dryly, we've
            been packing them according to subject matter. (i.e. all the Viking
            books are in 2 large bins,....) IF I have anything (I saw something
            yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
            Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
            England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
            way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
            textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
            search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
            there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
            to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
            archeological finds. Also check the National Museum of Ireland.
            They too, have a number of books on Viking finds. In fact, my VERY
            most favorite book from there, is called "Viking-Age Decorated Wood"
            (Randalin,......heads up,......this is the same book you were so
            page by page enjoying looking at, last night. I Think I can get at
            my cards to look up the author,....Lang, James T.
            While I have the list out, I'll chck on those York books I have.

            Haven't found them yet, but there Is another unique book:
            Earwood, Caroline - "Domestic Wooden Artifacts" that concentrates
            mostly on ones of the Celtic/Vikings/Ireland area.
            Be warned though. While there's stuff in this book I've seen no-
            where else, the book is also VERY expensive. I'd expected to find
            it Far more heavily illustrated than it turned out to be

            Okay, one of the York books :

            Mainman, A.J. + Rogers "Small Finds - Craft, Industry, and Everyday
            Life" York Archeological Trust, York, Eng.

            Hmmmmmm may have to go check my bins,........dreddddd,....it's cold
            out there,....I'm typing wearing gloves, in here,.....oh, well, I'm
            dressed for the outside,....Okay,...that solves That mystery,....I
            knew I had um, but when I checked, they weren't in my
            records,....for a very good reason,....seems I failed to put them
            there,....! But,....brought them in, to fix that, and can tell ya
            for sure, which has what.

            Ah Ha
            The book (Mainman)has "Finds from Anglo-Scandanavian York"
            LOTSA stone etc. spindle whorls, and honeing stones,lotsa amber
            beads and pendants, glass works bits, pottery bits, loom weights,
            bronze needles, soapstone bits and 'lamps', spoons, metal bits etc.,
            scale parts, weights, A Hnefatafl game I've missed reproducing
            somehow,....I need to tell some one about, playing pieces, strap
            ends,and buckles,brooches, NICE pins !, rings,pendants, lotsa glass
            beads, toilet impliments, carved stone pieces, etc.

            Another of the York books (one of two I forgot to record,
            somehow,....I had a rule, after I statrted to record newly bought
            books, to never put away a book until after it was recorded and
            given a Lib code number, which went on all copies made from the
            books for my files,......no more wondering where what came
            from,...look up the code on the page, and go pull the book. This
            was a total necessity when I competed.

            Anyway.
            The following book is one that got missed:

            Morris, Carole A. Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandanavia and
            Medieval York"/ The Archeology of York The Small Finds 17/13 Craft,
            Industry and Everyday Life
            Around 250 pages to the book GOOD BOOK !!!! Lotsa Treenware, etc
            in it (and some textile tools) How many, I can't say without going
            through the book page by page. But as far as I know I'm not sure
            there Is a book exclusively on Viking-age wooden Textile tools.

            'Wood' doesn't survive near as well as other matrials, and so it's
            often one of the most difficult things to research, in regards to
            looking for primary source examples. In my home library,...this
            book, and the Lang one from Dublin (National Museum) are the two,
            VERY best books I have on Viking Wood things. The Earwood book is
            my third best.

            When you're looking at wood that has survived, you Need to keep in
            mind that what you see (in the catalogs) is the best they were able
            to preserve what they found,...that more often than not, the object
            has lost wood from the long-grain edges. i.e. you need to mentally
            fill in more wood, along the long sides of most pieces. Randalin
            was asking me about that, last night, when she was looking at the
            remains of a bowl from Dublin,....it looked like the bowl was long
            and narrow,.....but in truth, it was turned 'round' when it was
            first made, and most likely turned 'green' as it was easier to work.
            When the bowl finished drying/shrinking, it always winds up oval-
            shaped, due to the way the long sides shrink more than the ends.
            Then the bowl gets buried for many hundreds of years,....the long
            sides of the wood are weaker, and more inclined to break off, along
            the grain, resulting in the archeologist finding/rescueing more in
            length, than width. There's also a certain amount of distortion to
            keep in mind. Back in my early research days, I was constantly
            puzzled by a certain wooden (Viking) cup which had been found. The
            shape of it was strange looking, til it eventually dawned on me that
            it was shaped that way by the tons of earth that had crushed down
            upon it, and the archeologists/restorers had simply cleaned it, and
            preserved it, without attempting to try and force the poor tortured
            wood back into it's original shape, which was "U"-shaped (it
            looks 'D'-shaped in the photos/line-drawings)

            I showed Randalin a piece found in Dublin, identified as a 'cross
            arm/hammer' something. I disagree. For Many reasons, I
            believe it was simply a child's wooden ax head. I enlarged it to
            found size, then followed the curvature of the sides, and they
            curved out un-equally, clearly creating the front end of a Viking ax
            head, child size. I reproduced it, whole, as such (No, it's not in
            any of the pix. I have a number of Viking toys and textile tool
            reproductions that have not yet made it in front of my camera
            lense,...something I need to correct)
            The Lang book states though, that their purpose is no to interpret,
            but to record the finds. I have loved that book so much, it's
            almost falling apart, from where I've xeroxed so much out of it for
            my files, and enlarged SO many pieces to actual size, to reproduce.
            For the Viking-age woodcrafter/carver, I can't stress it's value
            enough.

            Another good book to add to any Viking library is "From Viking to
            Crusader" I found it at Pennsic, almost a doz. years ago, and
            hesitated to spend the 65$ on it the merchant wanted,.....but, like
            the Lang book, I have xeroxed it near to death, for EVery thing it
            has in it ! (the Earwood book cost more, 3 or 4 years later, and
            had not a fraction the illustrations as the V-C. book) Lotsa wood
            stuff in it (and more) it also contains the large platter Randalin
            is making steady progress on)

            Don't know if I've answered your question or not.
            But do check out the two museums of available books. They've both,
            no doubt added more since I last looked in on them. The Lang book I
            bought At the museum, their last, on-shelf copy, at the time, but
            I've since seen that Amazon has it, so ya might check there, first.
            The York books, you can probably have to order from them. I used a
            credit card, and it took FOREVER for them to arrive by slow boat,
            but they're good books. Oh, the other one I had forgotten to
            record of theirs, was another 'Small Finds" book on bone,
            antler,ivory, horn" There's spoons, lucets (!!!!) LOTSA combs,
            pins, etc in it.
            Enjoy the quest.
            Shara

            <cunning@f...> wrote:
            > Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has
            the most
            > viking/early period fiber working tools?
            >
            > James Cunningham
            >
            > What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
            > > and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
            > > museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
            > > lucky, line drawings.
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
              Thanks for the work in the cold!!

              James Cunningham

              snip----- Original Message ----- IF I have anything (I saw something
              > yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
              > Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
              > England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
              > way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
              > textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
              > search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
              > there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
              > to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
              > archeological finds.
              snip
            • windsingersmoon
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003