Re: [MedievalSawdust] Starting out

  • AqA WyrdWynd
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
      from pete/aqa/taal

      those that would say such things are usually the rude authenti-nazis....or just plain rude...and nine times out a ten they've yet to do themselves what they are critiquing....on the other hand a gentle critique is good for helping you improve your skills...and a third .....anyone that critiques a gift should be smacked up side the headussually with the said gift

      """""Has to 'don't be afraid to try', that really is one of my main fears.  Putting
      several months of work into something and then finding out once someone
      else sees it that I have used the wrong wood, got the grain sideways, etc is
      a little disheartening..."""

    • Alaxandr MacLochloinn
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
        First, plywood is fine for the initial offering.  I think the painting is going to be the difficult part and you should go inexpensive until you get a feel for how much work you're willing or able to accomplish.

        Second, make the arms correctly. If you go modern on them, they might or might not display the shield, knowing it's "off". At the least, there will be some uncomfortableness.  Why chance that?  Trace the art (below) and enlarge it.  If the someone has arms, make them accurately.

        If they don't, get them to Saint Gabriel
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/
        and have them start.

        Some good things
        The traceable Art Project
        http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/TraceableArt.html
        Modar's: http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/heraldry.htm
        The SCA heralds site --  http://heraldry.sca.org/

        YIS
        Alaxandr

        Pictures: http://www.wordfame.org
        Merchants Row: http://www.merchantsrow.org
        Youth Combat: http://youthfighters.eastkingdom.org/
        Northern Lights A&S: http://scanorthernlights.org/
        EastKingdom EmailList at Yahoo!

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
          For a display shield, exterior grade plywood should be fine. For Lillies, I would make sure that the wood is well sealed. First pick a standard shied shape (round, kite, etc.), pick a size and cut your blank appropriately. If you care, I would put the front surface grain running vertically. I would then seal the edge with a thick coat of waterproof glue, epoxy or Titebond 3, this should help slow down water penetration into the exposed end grain. I would then lay on a few coats of exterior latex paint as a primer, sanding between on the front side to give you a smooth presentation surface. Paint the chosen device on the front and seal with a couple of clear coats. Add some hardware on the back for hanging or build a small stand.

          You could also add some edging by using contact cement to glue on thin leather wrapped around the edge and 0.5 - 1 inch onto the front and back. Taking that a step further, drilling small holes along the line where the edging will lay, you can add a spiral lacing to dress it up. If you are going to do this, drill the holes early so that they will get sealed during the prep process.

          The edging can also be simulated with a simple band of dark or grey paint, which would be much simpler, faster and be more durable.

          If you do this well, I'll bet that you'll get requests for more than you'll ever want to do...

          In Service to the Dream,
          Eirikr Mjoksiglandi
          Ashgrove, Barony of Angels, Caid

          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Alaxandr MacLochloinn <treevemilne@...> wrote:

          > First, plywood is fine for the initial offering. I think the painting is going to be the difficult part and you should go inexpensive until you get a feel for how much work you're willing or able to accomplish.
          >
          > Second, make the arms correctly. If you go modern on them, they might or might not display the shield,
          > knowing it's "off". At the least, there will be some uncomfortableness. Why chance that? Trace the art (below) and enlarge it. If the someone has arms, make them accurately.
          >
          > If they don't, get them to Saint Gabriel
          > http://www.s-gabriel.org/
          > and have them start.
          >
          > Some good things
          > The traceable Art Project
          > http://www.aeheralds.net/Links/AE_Traceable_Art/TraceableArt.html
          > Modar's: http://www2.kumc.edu/itc/staff/rknight/heraldry.htm
          >
          > The SCA heralds site -- http://heraldry.sca.org/
          >

          > YIS
          > Alaxandr
          >

          > Pictures: http://www.wordfame.org
          > Merchants Row: http://www.merchantsrow.org
          > Youth Combat: http://youthfighters.eastkingdom.org/
          > Northern Lights A&S: http://scanorthernlights.org/
          > EastKingdom EmailList at Yahoo!
          >

          > ________________________________

        • AqA WyrdWynd
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
            i  gonna thank you too for sending this file

            pete/taal

          • Alaxandr MacLochloinn
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010

              And right back at ye with those hamsters.

              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
                While there are many way yo do this, I'd use 3/4" (softwood) plywood. Cut, prime it, and paint it. Ensure that u prime & paint the edges, as this is where moisture will attack.

                Size 24" x 36". (2 x 3)
                Measure 18" down on each side; these are the static points of your string compass
                Use a string compass 24" radius, I.e. shield width, to draw your heater shape
                cut, (drill hanger holes if necessary), prime, paint

                MJR
              • Chris

                Message 9 of 21 , Feb 13, 2010
                  On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Wilhelm von Frankfurt
                  <mramey@...> wrote:
                  > While there are many way yo do this, I'd use 3/4" (softwood) plywood.  Cut, prime it, and paint it.  Ensure that u prime & paint the edges, as this is where moisture will attack.
                  >
                  > Size 24" x 36". (2 x 3)
                  > Measure 18" down on each side; these are the static points of your string compass
                  > Use a string compass 24" radius, I.e. shield width, to draw your heater shape
                  > cut, (drill hanger holes if necessary), prime, paint
                  >
                  > MJR

                  Thank you all so very very much. I shall be picking up lumber in the
                  morning and getting started right away.

                  --
                  David "Wolf" Mc.
                  Nullum beneficium inpune stat.

                    Message 11 of 21 , Feb 14, 2010
                      well changed that " failed"..to OOPsed" and you should have no problems..FIDO attitude about what people say is best when confidence is tender.....GIRD THY LOINS YOUNG WARRIOR, A BREASTPLATE TO PROTECT THE HEART, A GLORIOUS HELM FOR THY HEAD BUT LEAVE THE BUTTOCKS FREE, THUS THEY MAY KISS IN THIER PASSING AS YOU STRIDEFORTH TOWARD YOUR PENDING GLORY.....

                      Message 12 of 21 , Feb 14, 2010
                        ARGH THE MAILER SENT OUT MY REPONCE BEFORE IWAS DONE...IN OTHER WORDS PER MY PREVIOUS STATEMENT, TRY TO TOUGHEN THE SKIN AGAINST MOST CRITISIMS, WHAT SAID THAT DOESNT TEACH SHOULD REACH YOU AND THUS THINE ARSE BE FREE OF SMOOCHES...

                        PETE

                        dang caps key...

                        Message 13 of 21 , Feb 14, 2010
                          nah...boomerrang hamsters...they hang about my noggin

                          Message 14 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                            This is the second place I've seen someone sign off with yodeling hamsters.
                            Is there a reference here that is getting past me?

                            Why the large, pink declaration of it?  Does it have anything to do with a Gay Pride Parade?
                            Herr Thomas von Holthausen
                            Barony of Three Rivers, Calontir

                            http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/eastkingdo m

                            Message 15 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                              1. Did you bind the edge in any way?  I can't tell from picture.

                              2. Maybe I could tell from picture, if I could figure out how to get it larger.  Can anyone help?

                              3. How does one go about posting to the list with attachment on the site as several messages have done recently?

                              Thanks all, for having this open and ongoing conversation, for helping people new to woodworking, for explaining how to participate for your elders who don't have lots of folks around to ask how these web things are usually done.

                              Message 16 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                                visability, yet not intrusive as blue or green brites, earthtones didnt cut it...and im the only one its my creation, im on medival encampment and medival trivia also

                                  While there are many way yo do this, I'd use 3/4" (softwood) plywood. Cut, prime it, and paint it. Ensure that u prime & paint the edges, as this is where moisture will attack.

                                  Size 24" x 36". (2 x 3)
                                  Measure 18" down on each side; these are the static points of your string compass
                                  Use a string compass 24" radius, I.e. shield width, to draw your heater shape
                                  cut, (drill hanger holes if necessary), prime, paint

                                  MJR

                                • Thomas von Holthausen
                                  Message 18 of 21 , Feb 16, 2010
                                    Did something similar with my second shield, a kite.  Had half inch aluminum channel material and nailed it in place, bending as I went.  Did not think to rough up and paint with field color.  Must have done painting before adding banding.  Eventually got tired of having trouble with round base and cut a tuna can in half to hold in place and keep water out of base.  Very sturdy, but don't  look too closely.