Re: New here,....Intro.

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
      <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
      > Greetings Shara -
      >
      > WOW... what an introduction... nice stuff out there. From where
      do you hale? Glad ya' came to join us...

      > Chas. Oakley
      Georgia, about an hour west of Atlanta.
      Thankyou
      <<<<GGGG>>>>>
      Shara
    • windsingersmoon
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, kjworz@c... wrote:

        > Welcome!
        >
        > You never said, and it is difficult to discern from the web
        links... From what part of the Kingdom do you hail?

        > --
        > -Chirho
        > Shire of Roxbury Mill, Kingdom of Atlantia
        > Silver Spring, MD

        Meridies
        Shara

      • windsingersmoon
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
          <cunning@f...> wrote:
          > Wecome Asa of the Wood
          >
          > I like your work! I am not a carver and am currently very busy
          helping the
          > Countess Sharra build a mundain house in the woods of Southern
          Ohio. I am
          > interested in the " (and some on Period textile-working tools, but
          only
          > because they're wooden tools)" Because we have several ladies
          that spin and
          > weave in the area...and I like building tools!
          >
          > James Cunningham

          Please tell Countess Sharra, that my lord and I were in a
          Wendy's in GA, next to I-20,....my lord came back to the table to
          tell me, : "there's a girl, at the counter, who's name tag
          says 'Shara'"
          We went several more times. She was always there.
          One day I made a point of going to the counter to ask her about her
          name (make a note here, the girl was about 18-20) I said it
          was 'very unusual' and asked if she knew why her parents had chosen
          it ?" She said she had asked her mother,....and her mother told
          her she had "Made it up" I smiled at the girl, and looked at my
          own wrist, where I turned a well-worn beaded name bracelet around
          for her to see. On the bracelet, were letter beads spelling out the
          name "Shara" As she looked at the bracelet in total amazement,
          I didn't bother telling her it had only been my name for 21+ years,
          and I didn't tell her where it originated,....but I'd love to have
          been a fly on the wall when she got home ! <GGGGGG>
          Shara (I LOve beilding the tools ! the House Barra site has pix
          of an sca demo and workshop I'd done, with a number of my antique
          tool collection on display. Some are Medieval and Viking
          reproductions, the rest are all tools known in period.
          Not much in the way of local textile workers here, I mostly make for
          displays. What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
          and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
          museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
          lucky, line drawings.
          S.
        • James W. Pratt, Jr.
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
            Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has the most
            viking/early period fiber working tools?

            James Cunningham

          • asa.wood@excite.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
              Ugh.
              Lemme think about it.
              We're currently in the process of clearing ALL the thousands of
              books of our library out of the house, to save them from the roof
              caving in,.......but as we get them out, and pack them dryly, we've
              been packing them according to subject matter. (i.e. all the Viking
              books are in 2 large bins,....) IF I have anything (I saw something
              yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
              Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
              England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
              way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
              textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
              search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
              there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
              to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
              archeological finds. Also check the National Museum of Ireland.
              They too, have a number of books on Viking finds. In fact, my VERY
              most favorite book from there, is called "Viking-Age Decorated Wood"
              (Randalin,......heads up,......this is the same book you were so
              page by page enjoying looking at, last night. I Think I can get at
              my cards to look up the author,....Lang, James T.
              While I have the list out, I'll chck on those York books I have.

              Haven't found them yet, but there Is another unique book:
              Earwood, Caroline - "Domestic Wooden Artifacts" that concentrates
              mostly on ones of the Celtic/Vikings/Ireland area.
              Be warned though. While there's stuff in this book I've seen no-
              where else, the book is also VERY expensive. I'd expected to find
              it Far more heavily illustrated than it turned out to be

              Okay, one of the York books :

              Mainman, A.J. + Rogers "Small Finds - Craft, Industry, and Everyday
              Life" York Archeological Trust, York, Eng.

              Hmmmmmm may have to go check my bins,........dreddddd,....it's cold
              out there,....I'm typing wearing gloves, in here,.....oh, well, I'm
              dressed for the outside,....Okay,...that solves That mystery,....I
              knew I had um, but when I checked, they weren't in my
              records,....for a very good reason,....seems I failed to put them
              there,....! But,....brought them in, to fix that, and can tell ya
              for sure, which has what.

              Ah Ha
              The book (Mainman)has "Finds from Anglo-Scandanavian York"
              LOTSA stone etc. spindle whorls, and honeing stones,lotsa amber
              beads and pendants, glass works bits, pottery bits, loom weights,
              bronze needles, soapstone bits and 'lamps', spoons, metal bits etc.,
              scale parts, weights, A Hnefatafl game I've missed reproducing
              somehow,....I need to tell some one about, playing pieces, strap
              ends,and buckles,brooches, NICE pins !, rings,pendants, lotsa glass
              beads, toilet impliments, carved stone pieces, etc.

              Another of the York books (one of two I forgot to record,
              somehow,....I had a rule, after I statrted to record newly bought
              books, to never put away a book until after it was recorded and
              given a Lib code number, which went on all copies made from the
              books for my files,......no more wondering where what came
              from,...look up the code on the page, and go pull the book. This
              was a total necessity when I competed.

              Anyway.
              The following book is one that got missed:

              Morris, Carole A. Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandanavia and
              Medieval York"/ The Archeology of York The Small Finds 17/13 Craft,
              Industry and Everyday Life
              Around 250 pages to the book GOOD BOOK !!!! Lotsa Treenware, etc
              in it (and some textile tools) How many, I can't say without going
              through the book page by page. But as far as I know I'm not sure
              there Is a book exclusively on Viking-age wooden Textile tools.

              'Wood' doesn't survive near as well as other matrials, and so it's
              often one of the most difficult things to research, in regards to
              looking for primary source examples. In my home library,...this
              book, and the Lang one from Dublin (National Museum) are the two,
              VERY best books I have on Viking Wood things. The Earwood book is
              my third best.

              When you're looking at wood that has survived, you Need to keep in
              mind that what you see (in the catalogs) is the best they were able
              to preserve what they found,...that more often than not, the object
              has lost wood from the long-grain edges. i.e. you need to mentally
              fill in more wood, along the long sides of most pieces. Randalin
              was asking me about that, last night, when she was looking at the
              remains of a bowl from Dublin,....it looked like the bowl was long
              and narrow,.....but in truth, it was turned 'round' when it was
              first made, and most likely turned 'green' as it was easier to work.
              When the bowl finished drying/shrinking, it always winds up oval-
              shaped, due to the way the long sides shrink more than the ends.
              Then the bowl gets buried for many hundreds of years,....the long
              sides of the wood are weaker, and more inclined to break off, along
              the grain, resulting in the archeologist finding/rescueing more in
              length, than width. There's also a certain amount of distortion to
              keep in mind. Back in my early research days, I was constantly
              puzzled by a certain wooden (Viking) cup which had been found. The
              shape of it was strange looking, til it eventually dawned on me that
              it was shaped that way by the tons of earth that had crushed down
              upon it, and the archeologists/restorers had simply cleaned it, and
              preserved it, without attempting to try and force the poor tortured
              wood back into it's original shape, which was "U"-shaped (it
              looks 'D'-shaped in the photos/line-drawings)

              I showed Randalin a piece found in Dublin, identified as a 'cross
              arm/hammer' something. I disagree. For Many reasons, I
              believe it was simply a child's wooden ax head. I enlarged it to
              found size, then followed the curvature of the sides, and they
              curved out un-equally, clearly creating the front end of a Viking ax
              head, child size. I reproduced it, whole, as such (No, it's not in
              any of the pix. I have a number of Viking toys and textile tool
              reproductions that have not yet made it in front of my camera
              lense,...something I need to correct)
              The Lang book states though, that their purpose is no to interpret,
              but to record the finds. I have loved that book so much, it's
              almost falling apart, from where I've xeroxed so much out of it for
              my files, and enlarged SO many pieces to actual size, to reproduce.
              For the Viking-age woodcrafter/carver, I can't stress it's value
              enough.

              Another good book to add to any Viking library is "From Viking to
              Crusader" I found it at Pennsic, almost a doz. years ago, and
              hesitated to spend the 65$ on it the merchant wanted,.....but, like
              the Lang book, I have xeroxed it near to death, for EVery thing it
              has in it ! (the Earwood book cost more, 3 or 4 years later, and
              had not a fraction the illustrations as the V-C. book) Lotsa wood
              stuff in it (and more) it also contains the large platter Randalin
              is making steady progress on)

              Don't know if I've answered your question or not.
              But do check out the two museums of available books. They've both,
              no doubt added more since I last looked in on them. The Lang book I
              bought At the museum, their last, on-shelf copy, at the time, but
              I've since seen that Amazon has it, so ya might check there, first.
              The York books, you can probably have to order from them. I used a
              credit card, and it took FOREVER for them to arrive by slow boat,
              but they're good books. Oh, the other one I had forgotten to
              record of theirs, was another 'Small Finds" book on bone,
              antler,ivory, horn" There's spoons, lucets (!!!!) LOTSA combs,
              pins, etc in it.
              Enjoy the quest.
              Shara

              <cunning@f...> wrote:
              > Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has
              the most
              > viking/early period fiber working tools?
              >
              > James Cunningham
              >
              > What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
              > > and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
              > > museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
              > > lucky, line drawings.
            • James W. Pratt, Jr.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                Thanks for the work in the cold!!

                James Cunningham

                snip----- Original Message ----- IF I have anything (I saw something
                > yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
                > Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
                > England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
                > way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
                > textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
                > search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
                > there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
                > to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
                > archeological finds.
                snip
              • windsingersmoon
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003