Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: persian Kemenche case

  • Adam MacDonald
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
      In the case of instrument from 'over there', since sooooo many relaated
      instruments have very similar names for VERY similar (buit different)
      instruments, the usual way for ethnomusicologists and fanciers of the
      various instruments involved is to apply a designater of culture - for
      example:

      akdeniz kemenche (Black Sea fiddle)
      klasik kemance (Ottoman 'classic' fiddle - similar in shape, but NOT sound
      of the Cretan lira)
      kemanche farsi (the Persian type purchased by Donato's friend)
      Keman (the modern European violin)

      to see a further example of this, try doing a Google search for the
      instruments called rabab/rebab/rebaba/rubaab/robab and you'll see a dizzying
      variety of instruments ranging from bowed strings (ranging from Egypt to
      Malaysia) to long-necked lutes from Central Asia (the Uzbek rabab and
      Kashgar rawap) to short-necked lutes with a huge number of sympathetic
      strings (the Afghan rubaab).

      Terminology is VERY important in the world of ethnic instruments... don't
      even ask about the headaches caused by tanbur/tambur/tanpura...

      Replacing the head on on instrument like the kemanche is fussier than
      replacing a drumhead, although the basic principle is the same - the
      constant string pressure is a different kind of stress than that a drumhead
      receives, and the skins are quite a bit thinner - to get the right sound.

      I am not as concerned about the neck/body join, as I am about the following
      parts:
      The skin resonator (for the reason that it should be easy to protect)
      The tuning pegs (pegs are ALWAYS a concern)
      The corpus (the bodies on these tend to be stave-built, and very thin, so
      protecting it from sharp, shocky impact is critical).

      I have handled a few of the commercially-built kemanche cases of the type
      found on the forefrontappraisers.com site - most of them were pretty
      well-made light plywood with a nice vinyl cover, although a few were heavy
      cardboard. It would be worthwhile to find out, and the $75 price tag is a
      bargain for a hardcase for a weirdly-shaped ethnic instrument.

      If your friend needs some resources, I can perhaps point here in the
      direction of a few, although I have only recently started studying Persian
      music seriously fairly recently - I do have a lot of contacts (my real and
      primary love is Turkish music - folk,and Ottoman classical) that may be of
      help.

      Iskander