Re: [MedievalSawdust] persian Kemenche case

  • Adam MacDonald
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2010
      Chris - that's not a persian kemenche - that's a Black Sea kemenche (also called a Pontian lyra).

      Here is a short video of a Persian (also Azeri) kemenche

      Since the Persian kemenche has a skin face, a hard case is HIGHLY suggested.

      Sasha
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
        Ok, I can only work with the info given... but am cool with that.

        Its actually a Kamancheh Kamancha, not a kemenche, when I searched THAT term, I came up with a lot.

        I don't see the skin face being the risky part, It could be easily replaced. Any Mid east drummer could do it and you can get the part here.

        http://www.santoori.com/html/instruments_vitrine.html

        Here is a hard case for sale....

        http://forefrontappraisers.com/Darvishkhan/instruments.htm

        http://forefrontappraisers.com/Darvishkhan/OnDeckPics/Kamoncheh-Hard-Case.jpg

        its the neck thats the fragile part, it looks like it would be impossible to replace if broken and would easily be placed in a "Bridge" position then have something put on top of it.

        I thought Conga hard case when I saw the video, the bulbous sounding chamber doesn't look like any other stringed instrument I can think of. With modification, this case would work great.... but for the price, might as well have a cool customized one made by a woodworker....

        http://www.totalmusicsupply.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=95481&PartnerID=3

        Just trying to help!

        Donato

        > Chris - that's not a persian kemenche - that's a Black Sea kemenche (also called a Pontian lyra).
        >
        > Here is a short video of a Persian (also Azeri) kemenche
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkLTdH6vlm8
        >
        > Since the Persian kemenche has a skin face, a hard case is HIGHLY suggested.
        >
        > Sasha

      • Adam MacDonald
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
          In the case of instrument from 'over there', since sooooo many relaated
          instruments have very similar names for VERY similar (buit different)
          instruments, the usual way for ethnomusicologists and fanciers of the
          various instruments involved is to apply a designater of culture - for
          example:

          akdeniz kemenche (Black Sea fiddle)
          klasik kemance (Ottoman 'classic' fiddle - similar in shape, but NOT sound
          of the Cretan lira)
          kemanche farsi (the Persian type purchased by Donato's friend)
          Keman (the modern European violin)

          to see a further example of this, try doing a Google search for the
          instruments called rabab/rebab/rebaba/rubaab/robab and you'll see a dizzying
          variety of instruments ranging from bowed strings (ranging from Egypt to
          Malaysia) to long-necked lutes from Central Asia (the Uzbek rabab and
          Kashgar rawap) to short-necked lutes with a huge number of sympathetic
          strings (the Afghan rubaab).

          Terminology is VERY important in the world of ethnic instruments... don't
          even ask about the headaches caused by tanbur/tambur/tanpura...

          Replacing the head on on instrument like the kemanche is fussier than
          replacing a drumhead, although the basic principle is the same - the
          constant string pressure is a different kind of stress than that a drumhead
          receives, and the skins are quite a bit thinner - to get the right sound.

          I am not as concerned about the neck/body join, as I am about the following
          parts:
          The skin resonator (for the reason that it should be easy to protect)
          The tuning pegs (pegs are ALWAYS a concern)
          The corpus (the bodies on these tend to be stave-built, and very thin, so
          protecting it from sharp, shocky impact is critical).

          I have handled a few of the commercially-built kemanche cases of the type
          found on the forefrontappraisers.com site - most of them were pretty
          well-made light plywood with a nice vinyl cover, although a few were heavy
          cardboard. It would be worthwhile to find out, and the $75 price tag is a
          bargain for a hardcase for a weirdly-shaped ethnic instrument.

          If your friend needs some resources, I can perhaps point here in the
          direction of a few, although I have only recently started studying Persian
          music seriously fairly recently - I do have a lot of contacts (my real and
          primary love is Turkish music - folk,and Ottoman classical) that may be of
          help.

          Iskander