persian Kemenche case

  • chris carpenter
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2010
      From what I saw on Wiki, on the Persian Kemenche

      it would easily fit into a mountain dulcimer case.

      Lighter and cheaper than anyone can make out of wood.

      I am sure if she were to look she could find an inexpensive hard Dulcimer case too.....

      Donato

    • Adam MacDonald
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 7, 2010
        Chris - that's not a persian kemenche - that's a Black Sea kemenche (also called a Pontian lyra).

        Here is a short video of a Persian (also Azeri) kemenche

        Since the Persian kemenche has a skin face, a hard case is HIGHLY suggested.

        Sasha

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
          Ok, I can only work with the info given... but am cool with that.

          Its actually a Kamancheh Kamancha, not a kemenche, when I searched THAT term, I came up with a lot.

          I don't see the skin face being the risky part, It could be easily replaced. Any Mid east drummer could do it and you can get the part here.

          http://www.santoori.com/html/instruments_vitrine.html

          Here is a hard case for sale....

          http://forefrontappraisers.com/Darvishkhan/instruments.htm

          http://forefrontappraisers.com/Darvishkhan/OnDeckPics/Kamoncheh-Hard-Case.jpg

          its the neck thats the fragile part, it looks like it would be impossible to replace if broken and would easily be placed in a "Bridge" position then have something put on top of it.

          I thought Conga hard case when I saw the video, the bulbous sounding chamber doesn't look like any other stringed instrument I can think of. With modification, this case would work great.... but for the price, might as well have a cool customized one made by a woodworker....

          http://www.totalmusicsupply.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=95481&PartnerID=3

          Just trying to help!

          Donato

          > Chris - that's not a persian kemenche - that's a Black Sea kemenche (also called a Pontian lyra).
          >
          > Here is a short video of a Persian (also Azeri) kemenche
          >
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkLTdH6vlm8
          >
          > Since the Persian kemenche has a skin face, a hard case is HIGHLY suggested.
          >
          > Sasha

        • Adam MacDonald
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 8, 2010
            In the case of instrument from 'over there', since sooooo many relaated
            instruments have very similar names for VERY similar (buit different)
            instruments, the usual way for ethnomusicologists and fanciers of the
            various instruments involved is to apply a designater of culture - for
            example:

            akdeniz kemenche (Black Sea fiddle)
            klasik kemance (Ottoman 'classic' fiddle - similar in shape, but NOT sound
            of the Cretan lira)
            kemanche farsi (the Persian type purchased by Donato's friend)
            Keman (the modern European violin)

            to see a further example of this, try doing a Google search for the
            instruments called rabab/rebab/rebaba/rubaab/robab and you'll see a dizzying
            variety of instruments ranging from bowed strings (ranging from Egypt to
            Malaysia) to long-necked lutes from Central Asia (the Uzbek rabab and
            Kashgar rawap) to short-necked lutes with a huge number of sympathetic
            strings (the Afghan rubaab).

            Terminology is VERY important in the world of ethnic instruments... don't
            even ask about the headaches caused by tanbur/tambur/tanpura...

            Replacing the head on on instrument like the kemanche is fussier than
            replacing a drumhead, although the basic principle is the same - the
            constant string pressure is a different kind of stress than that a drumhead
            receives, and the skins are quite a bit thinner - to get the right sound.

            I am not as concerned about the neck/body join, as I am about the following
            parts:
            The skin resonator (for the reason that it should be easy to protect)
            The tuning pegs (pegs are ALWAYS a concern)
            The corpus (the bodies on these tend to be stave-built, and very thin, so
            protecting it from sharp, shocky impact is critical).

            I have handled a few of the commercially-built kemanche cases of the type
            found on the forefrontappraisers.com site - most of them were pretty
            well-made light plywood with a nice vinyl cover, although a few were heavy
            cardboard. It would be worthwhile to find out, and the $75 price tag is a
            bargain for a hardcase for a weirdly-shaped ethnic instrument.

            If your friend needs some resources, I can perhaps point here in the
            direction of a few, although I have only recently started studying Persian
            music seriously fairly recently - I do have a lot of contacts (my real and
            primary love is Turkish music - folk,and Ottoman classical) that may be of
            help.

            Iskander