RE: [MedievalSawdust] lucet plans

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 22, 2010

      A lucet is a simple U shaped piece of wood, you could even use a 2 tined fork.

      Try this website

      http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/photos/lucet/

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 22, 2010
        Christain wrote:

        > I was wondering if anyone has plans or know of some place I could
        > find plans fro making a lucet.. . .out of. . .wood. . .

        George Oakes answered:

        > A lucet is a simple U shaped piece of wood, you could even use a 2
        > tined fork.
        > Try this website
        >
        > http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/photos/lucet/

        That shows a Victorian-style lyre-shaped lucet. So far as I'm aware,
        there's no evidence that sort was in use before 1600 (or 1800, for
        that matter).

        If you're looking for information on medieval lucets, you might want
        to try the Lucet Yahoo! Group <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lucet/
        >. Some of the members have researched the topic.

        There's also a brief article that could point you to further sources
        on the Soper Lane site <http://www.et-tu.com/soper/cgi-bin/index.cgi?
        action=viewnews&id=51>.

        I could point you to details on Viking-Age tools thought to have been
        used as are lucets <http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/
        viewtopic.php?t=42539> <http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/
        lucets.shtml>, but they are generally made from bone, not wood.

        Coblaith Muimnech
        <mailto:Coblaith@...>
        <http://coblaith.net>