Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: "Rohirric" Chest - finished!

  • Tim Bray
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
      Mahee asked:

      >What are some examples of tusk-tenons?

      They are most commonly seen in our period on trestle tables (the 15th -
      16th century kind, with two supports and a horizontal stretcher, not the
      earlier boards-on-tressels kind). You also see them in some timber frames,
      and in ironwork (the 14th century iron framework inside the spire of
      Salisbury Cathedral uses them!). Yet another common use was to hold wheels
      onto axles; the period equivalent of the cotter pin.

      They are my second-favorite joint (after drawbored M&T) because they are so
      strong, yet easy to knockdown and reassemble multiple times. A pain to
      make, though.

      Post-period, they are almost ubiquitous on Arts & Crafts furniture.

      I recommend Tom's article!

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works