Re: "Rohirric" Chest - finished!

  • mahee of acre
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
      I am sorry, I ment a chest that uses them. Do you have any examples
      of a chest that uses tusk-tenons or was it only for this chest that
      you have ever seen or know of them being used?

      Thank you again,

      your servant,
      mahee of acre

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:
      > Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@y...>:
      >
      > > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
      > > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to
      see
      > > how they would have been used?
      >
      > Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework
      structures such as
      > looms, printing presses, etc.
      >
      > Here's some more info:
      >
      > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf
      >
      > --
      > Tom Rettie tom@h...
      > www.his.com/~tom/index.html
    • Tim Bray
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
        Mahee asked:

        >What are some examples of tusk-tenons?

        They are most commonly seen in our period on trestle tables (the 15th -
        16th century kind, with two supports and a horizontal stretcher, not the
        earlier boards-on-tressels kind). You also see them in some timber frames,
        and in ironwork (the 14th century iron framework inside the spire of
        Salisbury Cathedral uses them!). Yet another common use was to hold wheels
        onto axles; the period equivalent of the cotter pin.

        They are my second-favorite joint (after drawbored M&T) because they are so
        strong, yet easy to knockdown and reassemble multiple times. A pain to
        make, though.

        Post-period, they are almost ubiquitous on Arts & Crafts furniture.

        I recommend Tom's article!

        Cheers,
        Colin

        Albion Works