Re: [medievalsawdust] Re: "Rohirric" Chest - finished!

  • Tom Rettie
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
      Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@...>:

      > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
      > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to see
      > how they would have been used?

      Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework structures such as
      looms, printing presses, etc.

      Here's some more info:

      http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf

      --
      Tom Rettie tom@...
      www.his.com/~tom/index.html
      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
        I am sorry, I ment a chest that uses them. Do you have any examples
        of a chest that uses tusk-tenons or was it only for this chest that
        you have ever seen or know of them being used?

        Thank you again,

        your servant,
        mahee of acre

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tom Rettie <tom@h...> wrote:
        > Quoting mahee of acre <mahee_of_acre@y...>:
        >
        > > What are some examples of tusk-tenons? I see sort of how you used
        > > them here, but are there other example that I might look at to
        see
        > > how they would have been used?
        >
        > Commonly used on trestles, bed frames, and large framework
        structures such as
        > looms, printing presses, etc.
        >
        > Here's some more info:
        >
        > http://www.his.com/~tom/sca/tusktenons.pdf
        >
        > --
        > Tom Rettie tom@h...
        > www.his.com/~tom/index.html
      • Tim Bray
        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 15, 2003
          Mahee asked:

          >What are some examples of tusk-tenons?

          They are most commonly seen in our period on trestle tables (the 15th -
          16th century kind, with two supports and a horizontal stretcher, not the
          earlier boards-on-tressels kind). You also see them in some timber frames,
          and in ironwork (the 14th century iron framework inside the spire of
          Salisbury Cathedral uses them!). Yet another common use was to hold wheels
          onto axles; the period equivalent of the cotter pin.

          They are my second-favorite joint (after drawbored M&T) because they are so
          strong, yet easy to knockdown and reassemble multiple times. A pain to
          make, though.

          Post-period, they are almost ubiquitous on Arts & Crafts furniture.

          I recommend Tom's article!

          Cheers,
          Colin

          Albion Works