Seeking ideas for Arts & Sciences Competition

  • Michael Tighe
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
      A long time ago I heard about an SCA Arts & Sciences
      competition where the goal was to make something using
      period techniques and period materials to make something
      that was distinctly not period.

      The examples I remember are "Star Trek Blackwork" and a
      church-key (beer/soda bottle opener) made from iron.

      I'm thinking of sponsoring such a competition at a local
      event and including a requirement for "documentation".
      The event itself is already somewhat "tongue in cheek", so
      this would make a wonderful addition to the event.

      Does anyone have experience with this that can advise me?
      Does anyone have war stories? Suggestions for categories
      or ways to increase entries?

      I figured this group (been a lurker for almost two years
      now) would have interesting ideas...

      -- Michael (Sir Michael of York, Carolingia, EK)

      -- Michael Tighe (tighe@...)
    • Colleen Vince
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 6, 2009
        In An Tir I have been part of a Pas de Faux.

        An A&S contest where you had three options to enter.

        1. Fake documenation for a real object
        2. Fake documetation for a non-medieval object
        3. Make a non-medieval object using real documentation.

        I built a medieval air conditioner (swamp cooler). Upper water reservoir poured water over a water wheel that had a fan blade attached to the waterwheel shaft. The water then fell in a lower reservoir. Had four sppeds, and had a billy Mays like sales pitch to go with it.

        Cheers
        dirtimari

        --
        Mary Ostler
        Apprentice to Mistress Agnes Cresewyke

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
              We had a weekend event here in Gleann Abhann called "Art Wars". We had teams that made period pieces on site at a weekend event. We had sewing that produced several period outfits, we had blacksmiths that produced the jewelry for period nobles, we had a team that produced a period stained glass piece, and two other teams that produced a period tool box with period tools and yet another team who produced a period wheelbarrow. Rules were simple and documenation was done before the event and judged as a normal A&S competion.

              Galen
            • Starr
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009

                That Sounds Like it would have been a Blast to attend.

                Starr

                We had a weekend event here in Gleann Abhann called "Art Wars". We had teams that made period pieces on site at a weekend event. We had sewing that produced several period outfits, we had blacksmiths that produced the jewelry for period nobles, we had a team that produced a period stained glass piece, and two other teams that produced a period tool box with period tools and yet another team who produced a period wheelbarrow. Rules were simple and documenation was done before the event and judged as a normal A&S competion.

                Galen

              • Russell Stallings
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009
                  I think it was more fo a blast to actually have a time frame to build something and we worked into the night to finish our projects on time.  I think everyone finished but a lot of people worked all night on their projects I will see if I can find pics if any of you are interested I will be happy to post to the group or to send to you individually.

                  Galen

                  'Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam'

                  - Latin for

                  "I'll Either Find a Way or Make One"

                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009

                    Please that would great. I can just imagin sitting there working all the time with that clock ticking in your head. Sounds like so much Fun.

                    Where are you in your Kingdom, if I may ask? My Lady Wife and I met there years & years ago in the shire in Shreveport.

                    Starr

                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 7, 2009

                      My Apologies to the List I meant to make my last replay off list.

                    • lorderec
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 21, 2009
                        yes, photos please!