iron-barred chests - was Shakespearean Wood?

  • julian wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5 1:41 AM
      How about the "Treaty of Calais" chest in the British national Archives at Kew? Not a lot of ironwork but it is oak,, dates from 14360, and still has much of it's original painted decoration. You can find pictures at
      http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/museum/item.asp?item_id=7
      In looking at this chest previously, during a 'spirited' online discussion about medieval painted furniture or lack of same [an argument just clarified by the English Heritage Exhibition recently opened at Dover Castle's Great Keep, [pictures also available online] , I have found another website, quoting a description which gives chest dimensions, too. Can't recall where, ATM, but you'll find it if you Google through the online listings.

      Matthewe Baker, ODB,
       Drachenwald.

      --- On Sat, 5/12/09, Ron <williams@...> wrote:

      For an upcoming 12th night event, the A&S coordinator has called for entries that relate to a Shakespearean quote. I found one reference from Richard the Second to a "a ten-times barr'd-up chest", and found an interesting image for an iron-bound chest at the Victoria and Albert Museum (http://images. vam.ac.uk/ item/O113758/ coffer/).

      Would any of you have other ideas and quotes?

      Thanks in advance!

      Bayard