Shakespearean Wood?

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2009
      For an upcoming 12th night event, the A&S coordinator has called for entries that relate to a Shakespearean quote. I found one reference from Richard the Second to a "a ten-times barr'd-up chest", and found an interesting image for an iron-bound chest at the Victoria and Albert Museum (http://images.vam.ac.uk/item/O113758/coffer/).

      Would any of you have other ideas and quotes?

      Thanks in advance!

      Bayard
    • julian wilson
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 5, 2009
        How about the "Treaty of Calais" chest in the British national Archives at Kew? Not a lot of ironwork but it is oak,, dates from 14360, and still has much of it's original painted decoration. You can find pictures at
        http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/museum/item.asp?item_id=7
        In looking at this chest previously, during a 'spirited' online discussion about medieval painted furniture or lack of same [an argument just clarified by the English Heritage Exhibition recently opened at Dover Castle's Great Keep, [pictures also available online] , I have found another website, quoting a description which gives chest dimensions, too. Can't recall where, ATM, but you'll find it if you Google through the online listings.

        Matthewe Baker, ODB,
         Drachenwald.