Re: New here,....Intro.

  • windsingersmoon
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
      (a note on the links,....turns out ya have to copy paste the
      angelfire address onto the address bar, and add the 'l' to the end,
      to get there. At the site, my sca brother (who did a Wonderful job
      of it!!) has been adding things that I didn't even know were there
      (and some I haven't a clue where he found them,.....they're 'mine'
      but I don't know where he located them, as I don't remember
      telling/giving them to him,.....oh well, looks good any ole way)

      But I've discovered he's built a game out of finding pix.
      Not everything is available from the first page.
      Ya have to go to a picture/page of 1-3 pictures, and look to the
      bottom of the page, to find a path to other pix. Each page seems to
      have different pix to see at the bottom. i.e. I'm still finding
      new ones there,.....:-< <G>
      Shara

      http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.htm
      > http://www.housebarra.com/asa/
    • James Winkler
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
        Greetings Shara -

        WOW... what an introduction... nice stuff out there.  From where do you hale?  Glad ya' came to join us...

        Chas. Oakley
      • kjworz@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
          Welcome!

          You never said, and it is difficult to discern from the web links... From what part of the Kingdom do you hail?

          --
          -Chirho
          Shire of Roxbury Mill, Kingdom of Atlantia

          > But I've discovered he's built a game out of finding pix.
          > Not everything is available from the first page.
          > Ya have to go to a picture/page of 1-3 pictures, and look to the
          > bottom of the page, to find a path to other pix. Each page seems to
          > have different pix to see at the bottom. i.e. I'm still finding
          > new ones there,.....:-< <G>
          > Shara
          >
          > > I'll make furniture, but it's the carvings I'm most experienced at.
          > > I look forward to the give and take on this board.
          > > Shara (ps, y'all can see examples of my works on the following

        • Dan Baker
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
            Enter and be welcome in this place,
            For all who enter here are indeed friends,
            Be they long known, or newly met.

            --
            In service to the dream,

            Lord Rhys, Capten gen y Arian Lloer
            Privateer to the Midrealm

            Arafu at dawnsio mewn adlaw
            (Take time to dance in the rain)

            Cymru am byth ("Wales Forever")

            >Hi.
            >I'm Shara, aka Asa of the Wood (I prefer Shara)
            >I heard about this board on another sca one (Medieval Encampments)
            >I'm a woodcarver for over 30 years, and a general wood-worker (with
            >hand-tools, and Period tools) for almost as long.

            Cell phone �switch� rules are taking effect � find out more here.
            http://special.msn.com/msnbc/consumeradvocate.armx
          • James W. Pratt, Jr.
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
              Wecome Asa of the Wood

              I like your work! I am not a carver and am currently very busy helping the
              Countess Sharra build a mundain house in the woods of Southern Ohio. I am
              interested in the " (and some on Period textile-working tools, but only
              because they're wooden tools)" Because we have several ladies that spin and
              weave in the area...and I like building tools!

              James Cunningham

              > (a note on the links,....turns out ya have to copy paste the
              > angelfire address onto the address bar, and add the 'l' to the end,
              > to get there. At the site, my sca brother (who did a Wonderful job
              > of it!!) has been adding things that I didn't even know were there
              > (and some I haven't a clue where he found them,.....they're 'mine'
              > but I don't know where he located them, as I don't remember
              > telling/giving them to him,.....oh well, looks good any ole way)
              >
              > But I've discovered he's built a game out of finding pix.
              > Not everything is available from the first page.
              > Ya have to go to a picture/page of 1-3 pictures, and look to the
              > bottom of the page, to find a path to other pix. Each page seems to
              > have different pix to see at the bottom. i.e. I'm still finding
              > new ones there,.....:-< <G>
              > Shara
              >
              > > I'll make furniture, but it's the carvings I'm most experienced at.
              > > I look forward to the give and take on this board.
              > > Shara (ps, y'all can see examples of my works on the following
              > links:
              > >
              > http://www.angelfire.com/ga/waterbearingfish/marcherlord/asashara.htm
              > > http://www.housebarra.com/asa/

            • windsingersmoon
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James Winkler"
                <jrwinkler@m...> wrote:
                > Greetings Shara -
                >
                > WOW... what an introduction... nice stuff out there. From where
                do you hale? Glad ya' came to join us...

                > Chas. Oakley
                Georgia, about an hour west of Atlanta.
                Thankyou
                <<<<GGGG>>>>>
                Shara
              • windsingersmoon
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, kjworz@c... wrote:

                  > Welcome!
                  >
                  > You never said, and it is difficult to discern from the web
                  links... From what part of the Kingdom do you hail?

                  > --
                  > -Chirho
                  > Shire of Roxbury Mill, Kingdom of Atlantia
                  > Silver Spring, MD

                  Meridies
                  Shara

                • windsingersmoon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 15, 2003
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
                    <cunning@f...> wrote:
                    > Wecome Asa of the Wood
                    >
                    > I like your work! I am not a carver and am currently very busy
                    helping the
                    > Countess Sharra build a mundain house in the woods of Southern
                    Ohio. I am
                    > interested in the " (and some on Period textile-working tools, but
                    only
                    > because they're wooden tools)" Because we have several ladies
                    that spin and
                    > weave in the area...and I like building tools!
                    >
                    > James Cunningham

                    Please tell Countess Sharra, that my lord and I were in a
                    Wendy's in GA, next to I-20,....my lord came back to the table to
                    tell me, : "there's a girl, at the counter, who's name tag
                    says 'Shara'"
                    We went several more times. She was always there.
                    One day I made a point of going to the counter to ask her about her
                    name (make a note here, the girl was about 18-20) I said it
                    was 'very unusual' and asked if she knew why her parents had chosen
                    it ?" She said she had asked her mother,....and her mother told
                    her she had "Made it up" I smiled at the girl, and looked at my
                    own wrist, where I turned a well-worn beaded name bracelet around
                    for her to see. On the bracelet, were letter beads spelling out the
                    name "Shara" As she looked at the bracelet in total amazement,
                    I didn't bother telling her it had only been my name for 21+ years,
                    and I didn't tell her where it originated,....but I'd love to have
                    been a fly on the wall when she got home ! <GGGGGG>
                    Shara (I LOve beilding the tools ! the House Barra site has pix
                    of an sca demo and workshop I'd done, with a number of my antique
                    tool collection on display. Some are Medieval and Viking
                    reproductions, the rest are all tools known in period.
                    Not much in the way of local textile workers here, I mostly make for
                    displays. What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
                    and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
                    museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
                    lucky, line drawings.
                    S.
                  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 16, 2003
                      Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has the most
                      viking/early period fiber working tools?

                      James Cunningham

                    • asa.wood@excite.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                        Ugh.
                        Lemme think about it.
                        We're currently in the process of clearing ALL the thousands of
                        books of our library out of the house, to save them from the roof
                        caving in,.......but as we get them out, and pack them dryly, we've
                        been packing them according to subject matter. (i.e. all the Viking
                        books are in 2 large bins,....) IF I have anything (I saw something
                        yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
                        Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
                        England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
                        way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
                        textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
                        search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
                        there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
                        to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
                        archeological finds. Also check the National Museum of Ireland.
                        They too, have a number of books on Viking finds. In fact, my VERY
                        most favorite book from there, is called "Viking-Age Decorated Wood"
                        (Randalin,......heads up,......this is the same book you were so
                        page by page enjoying looking at, last night. I Think I can get at
                        my cards to look up the author,....Lang, James T.
                        While I have the list out, I'll chck on those York books I have.

                        Haven't found them yet, but there Is another unique book:
                        Earwood, Caroline - "Domestic Wooden Artifacts" that concentrates
                        mostly on ones of the Celtic/Vikings/Ireland area.
                        Be warned though. While there's stuff in this book I've seen no-
                        where else, the book is also VERY expensive. I'd expected to find
                        it Far more heavily illustrated than it turned out to be

                        Okay, one of the York books :

                        Mainman, A.J. + Rogers "Small Finds - Craft, Industry, and Everyday
                        Life" York Archeological Trust, York, Eng.

                        Hmmmmmm may have to go check my bins,........dreddddd,....it's cold
                        out there,....I'm typing wearing gloves, in here,.....oh, well, I'm
                        dressed for the outside,....Okay,...that solves That mystery,....I
                        knew I had um, but when I checked, they weren't in my
                        records,....for a very good reason,....seems I failed to put them
                        there,....! But,....brought them in, to fix that, and can tell ya
                        for sure, which has what.

                        Ah Ha
                        The book (Mainman)has "Finds from Anglo-Scandanavian York"
                        LOTSA stone etc. spindle whorls, and honeing stones,lotsa amber
                        beads and pendants, glass works bits, pottery bits, loom weights,
                        bronze needles, soapstone bits and 'lamps', spoons, metal bits etc.,
                        scale parts, weights, A Hnefatafl game I've missed reproducing
                        somehow,....I need to tell some one about, playing pieces, strap
                        ends,and buckles,brooches, NICE pins !, rings,pendants, lotsa glass
                        beads, toilet impliments, carved stone pieces, etc.

                        Another of the York books (one of two I forgot to record,
                        somehow,....I had a rule, after I statrted to record newly bought
                        books, to never put away a book until after it was recorded and
                        given a Lib code number, which went on all copies made from the
                        books for my files,......no more wondering where what came
                        from,...look up the code on the page, and go pull the book. This
                        was a total necessity when I competed.

                        Anyway.
                        The following book is one that got missed:

                        Morris, Carole A. Wood and Woodworking in Anglo-Scandanavia and
                        Medieval York"/ The Archeology of York The Small Finds 17/13 Craft,
                        Industry and Everyday Life
                        Around 250 pages to the book GOOD BOOK !!!! Lotsa Treenware, etc
                        in it (and some textile tools) How many, I can't say without going
                        through the book page by page. But as far as I know I'm not sure
                        there Is a book exclusively on Viking-age wooden Textile tools.

                        'Wood' doesn't survive near as well as other matrials, and so it's
                        often one of the most difficult things to research, in regards to
                        looking for primary source examples. In my home library,...this
                        book, and the Lang one from Dublin (National Museum) are the two,
                        VERY best books I have on Viking Wood things. The Earwood book is
                        my third best.

                        When you're looking at wood that has survived, you Need to keep in
                        mind that what you see (in the catalogs) is the best they were able
                        to preserve what they found,...that more often than not, the object
                        has lost wood from the long-grain edges. i.e. you need to mentally
                        fill in more wood, along the long sides of most pieces. Randalin
                        was asking me about that, last night, when she was looking at the
                        remains of a bowl from Dublin,....it looked like the bowl was long
                        and narrow,.....but in truth, it was turned 'round' when it was
                        first made, and most likely turned 'green' as it was easier to work.
                        When the bowl finished drying/shrinking, it always winds up oval-
                        shaped, due to the way the long sides shrink more than the ends.
                        Then the bowl gets buried for many hundreds of years,....the long
                        sides of the wood are weaker, and more inclined to break off, along
                        the grain, resulting in the archeologist finding/rescueing more in
                        length, than width. There's also a certain amount of distortion to
                        keep in mind. Back in my early research days, I was constantly
                        puzzled by a certain wooden (Viking) cup which had been found. The
                        shape of it was strange looking, til it eventually dawned on me that
                        it was shaped that way by the tons of earth that had crushed down
                        upon it, and the archeologists/restorers had simply cleaned it, and
                        preserved it, without attempting to try and force the poor tortured
                        wood back into it's original shape, which was "U"-shaped (it
                        looks 'D'-shaped in the photos/line-drawings)

                        I showed Randalin a piece found in Dublin, identified as a 'cross
                        arm/hammer' something. I disagree. For Many reasons, I
                        believe it was simply a child's wooden ax head. I enlarged it to
                        found size, then followed the curvature of the sides, and they
                        curved out un-equally, clearly creating the front end of a Viking ax
                        head, child size. I reproduced it, whole, as such (No, it's not in
                        any of the pix. I have a number of Viking toys and textile tool
                        reproductions that have not yet made it in front of my camera
                        lense,...something I need to correct)
                        The Lang book states though, that their purpose is no to interpret,
                        but to record the finds. I have loved that book so much, it's
                        almost falling apart, from where I've xeroxed so much out of it for
                        my files, and enlarged SO many pieces to actual size, to reproduce.
                        For the Viking-age woodcrafter/carver, I can't stress it's value
                        enough.

                        Another good book to add to any Viking library is "From Viking to
                        Crusader" I found it at Pennsic, almost a doz. years ago, and
                        hesitated to spend the 65$ on it the merchant wanted,.....but, like
                        the Lang book, I have xeroxed it near to death, for EVery thing it
                        has in it ! (the Earwood book cost more, 3 or 4 years later, and
                        had not a fraction the illustrations as the V-C. book) Lotsa wood
                        stuff in it (and more) it also contains the large platter Randalin
                        is making steady progress on)

                        Don't know if I've answered your question or not.
                        But do check out the two museums of available books. They've both,
                        no doubt added more since I last looked in on them. The Lang book I
                        bought At the museum, their last, on-shelf copy, at the time, but
                        I've since seen that Amazon has it, so ya might check there, first.
                        The York books, you can probably have to order from them. I used a
                        credit card, and it took FOREVER for them to arrive by slow boat,
                        but they're good books. Oh, the other one I had forgotten to
                        record of theirs, was another 'Small Finds" book on bone,
                        antler,ivory, horn" There's spoons, lucets (!!!!) LOTSA combs,
                        pins, etc in it.
                        Enjoy the quest.
                        Shara

                        <cunning@f...> wrote:
                        > Could you give me the "were to find" on a museum catalog that has
                        the most
                        > viking/early period fiber working tools?
                        >
                        > James Cunningham
                        >
                        > What I think of as bringing the 'Museum out of the books
                        > > and into real hands, to look at." My most prized books are my
                        > > museum catalogs, with clear photos and measurements, and when I'm
                        > > lucky, line drawings.
                      • James W. Pratt, Jr.
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 17, 2003
                          Thanks for the work in the cold!!

                          James Cunningham

                          snip----- Original Message ----- IF I have anything (I saw something
                          > yesterday that might be the best I have on that subject),...
                          > Your very best bet would likely be from the books put out in York,
                          > England. (that's where the books came from I glanced at, on their
                          > way to storage) i.e. seems like one did have a number of wooden
                          > textile things in it,.......if you can't find the address in a
                          > search engine, I may be able to find it for you. The Museum,
                          > there at the Jorvik center (seems like 'York Trust' is what you want
                          > to search under) has quite a new books (museum catalogs) on
                          > archeological finds.
                          snip
                        • windsingersmoon
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 18, 2003